PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
I know it's not nearly punchy enough for the non-aromatic folks, but..........I have tried multiple aromatic blends since I've started and I have yet to find one that has a more pleasant tin note than BCA, the first one I tried (Captain Black Dark is equally as pleasant). And that goes for the smoke aroma as well, just sayin.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Tin note, and or aroma means nothing unless that aromatic smell delivers the same taste... which they rarely, if ever do in my experience. If they did I'd more likely than not be smoking more aromatics which I rarely do anymore. All smell... no taste just doesn't cut it for me. :wink:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The two aromatics I enjoy day in and day out are (were) Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic and the now gone Amphora Cesare Borgia. The latter being my favorite. Just finishing my last tin as a matter of fact.
Mike S.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
This is a VERY personal preference and the aroma vs taste is also dependent on the smoker. My personal preference is Old Shenandoah Barrel 76 which both smells and tastes great. But that is only IMHO...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many blends have excellent tin note, sometimes realized in the actual taste and sometimes not. The most impelling tin note I have encountered is Dunhill's London Mixture. A Forums member sent me a sample and it absolutely reached out of the box at me. I had to pack a pipe right away. It's really tasty tobacco, but the tin note is incredible.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Motzek Strang smells like a bear claw pastry ... a sweet, marzipan kind of scent.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
To me, so far, BCA does have a nice mild taste, and it certainly is not like the tin note, I haven't smoked one yet that tate lIke the tin note.....but it is very distinctive and pleasing to this complete novice. And I wish I had a BCA scented candle, that would be cool.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
mso489 - have you compared London Mixture's tin note to GLP Westminster? I understand that Westminster was developed as an attempt to replicate the old London Mixture. I do have Westminster (and love it - tin note and taste) but haven't tried London Mixture. I wonder how comparable they are in their tin notes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I really enjoy the tin note of Peterson University Flake. It actually tastes like it smells and is one of the very few aromatics that I smoke. I know some people do not consider it an aromatic, but I do...so there. :nana:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Barbary Coast and Golden Days of Yore come to mind. Just finished a bowl of Golden Days of Yore, the stuff is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.