PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomboo

Lurker
Jul 5, 2011
I always hear which tobacco smell the best but which taste the best IYO? Best tastin drug store tobacco? (im big on drug store stuff, like its history.) Thanks in advance!

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Everyone's taste buds work differently, but my favorite OTCs, which I call American Classic Blends are:
Carter Hall

Ky Club Mixture

Velvet

SWR

Granger
I like them equally, for various reasons, but I think Velvet is the best tasting of them all.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Wow, big can 'o worms coming up...just remember, taste is very subjective; just because you love a blend doesn't mean anyone else will. I mean, hell, Mixture 79 has been around for ages, obviously people enjoy it...so, before you go and get your panties in a knot because someone doesn't like your favourite blend (or vice-versa), remember, they probably don't like the same foods you eat, nor beers you drink...but that doesn't make them any less of a person, nor does it you.
That said, my preferred OTC burley is Amphora Original Blend, but I've admittedly only partaken in CH and SWR for the U.S. OTC's.
***Sorry for the PSA; just sick of seeing people blowing up over nothing, ego's getting bruised, and people fleeing the board because of threads along these lines. Dunhill pipes, charred rims, and packing methods all come to mind...

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Prince Albert and CBW for me.

And for people ego's being bruised let em'. I personally have enjoyed the last month or so of all the little girls crying. So I guess I will start.... Amphora SUCKS! lol i'm just kidding I actually kinda like amphora myself.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
My favorite OTC is Walnut, but I also have tried and enjoyed, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Captain Black (White), Middleton's Apple and Velvet. I'm still on the fence with Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. The first two times I tried it I didn't care for it. I gave it another try last weekend, in a brylon pipe no less, and it actually tasted pretty good. I have yet to have a great smoke from the packet of Borkum Riff Ultra Light in my collection.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I enjoy Erinmore mixture or Alsbo black as my brit/euro equivalent drug store blends. I also liked the sample of Captain Black Royal my friend has.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
The best tasting tobacco is always the one im currently smoking. :nana:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Captain Black is the biggest seller of drug store blends from what I recently read, but then you can only believe 1/2 of what you read, because it was written by one human, which when you put your trust in humans, you'll be let down every time.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've read both wild raves and firm regrets for any blend that's ever been on the market. I like PA and ERR (if you can find it), both of which are best experienced in a Cob.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
The only OTC I've tried is PA and I like it just fine. My other faves are Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend, H&H Classic Burley Kake, 7 Seas Royal, and Solani.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Captain black white for me. I havent tried many others. I'm thinking of giving velvet a try.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Wow, big can 'o worms coming up...just remember, taste is very subjective; just because you love a blend doesn't mean anyone else will.

can_of_worms_ahead.jpg

Ok my ear plugs are in:

Paladin Black Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.