Best tangy virginia + flavourful oriental?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
What Virginia + oriental blend can you recommend that has lasting very sour/tangy + oriental floral flavour notes? By lasting I mean both are prevalent to the bottom of the bowl and not completely faded by the half-way point?
Thanks everyone!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
mix 5100 red cake with some blending turkish ribbon, both mclellands blends. figure out the ratio you like via trial and error but maybe start at 60% 5100 and 40% BTR.
Isaac

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
All good. Also the grand oriental range put out by mcclelland is good for figuring out which specific oriental/turkish leaf you like the flavour profile of. I like the izmar leaf, or smyrna as its also called. The drama leaf i find subtle to the point of boring, rather lacking in drama. The different oriental leaves are grown in turkey, greece and georgia so the different climate/altitudes across that part of the world allow for different flavour profiles from what was originally the same seed stock, at least for most of them I think (samsun). Maybe someone more knowledgeable can provide some clarity there though.
Isaac

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
Isaac, with the 5100 and the turkish ribbon blend, does the flavour last to the bottom of the bowl and not die off mid way?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
003-041-0102.jpg
c7da8fe8fcde53440917.jpg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Thomnas, the flavour in any blend I smoked for the first couple of years was sour and or flat for the bottom third and sometimes the second third, but that was more to do with the way I was smoking than the blends themselves. If you take the advice given here on drying, packing, lighting, sipping and using a cleaner to absorb moisture if it occurs, letting the pipe cool down before a relight etc you will find the flavour at the bottom of a bowl to be as satisfying as the flavour at the top and in the middle.
Isaac

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A few reviewers found that McClelland #24 has some tanginess. It's been so long since I had it I can't remember anything specific

-- other than I had no problem smoking it.

003-041-0023.jpg

Let's take a little inventory of the responses:

• McClelland 5100 red cake and blending Turkish leaf (both McC)

McClelland Grand Oriental Series (8 blends)

McClelland Tudor Castle , Pebble Cut and Virginia #24

C&D's Oriental Silk bulk. If you like Perique too, then include Orion's Arrow.

GL Pease Cairo and Embarcadero

NYPC Bedloe's Island (Pipes&Cigars)

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
For a bulk option, you might want to try McClelland 025. To my taste, it is a full star better than tobaccoreviews.com has it. The Virginias are tangy nd there is very good Oriental flavor. Well worth a try IMHO.
Mike S.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
is 60% Virginia tang to 40% oriental flavour the usual for Virginia/oriental blends?

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've smoked Cairo, Embarcadero, VA No 24, and all are fine.
My secret favorite in this genre is McClelland's Boston 1776. There's just a breath of Oriental leaf in there, but it's enough for me. Great blend that doesn't get a lot of attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.