Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Pease's current article was very enlightening-I have heard before that this stuff is 'rare', but I didn't realize how rare. What are the best blends to enjoy this stuff while it is still around?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
McClelland's 3 Oaks Syrian and Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian are two very popular blends.
Edit: LOL ... See what I mean?

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I've had the HH Vintage Syrian. It gives you a rough outline of what Syrian latakia should be. I think that the two Syrian blends of Greg's that I've had, Raven's Wing and Bohemian Scandal, were heads and shoulders better than that, though. But you'll get a definite idea of Syrian latakia from the HH blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
All the MacBaren lat blends - except the new latakia flake - have Syrian latakia. I smoke a lot of the HH VS,and enjoy it a lot.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Wilderness is a superlative blend. Not to enter the political zone, but I just try and keep in mind that this serves to provide money to the Syrian regime.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
^ Really? I thought all the Syrian that is currently being used was bought up 10 years ago, and that stuff was 'vintage' when purchased. How would that affect the current Syrian economy?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is a short but very good article on the subject of Syrian latakia from The Tabac Club. Deforestation is the main reason for this strains disappearance. With the current political climate in that country I doubt things will improve.

http://www.tabacclub.com/francais-le-latakia-cette-herbe-si-recherchee-latakia-this-sought-after-herb/

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
If you're worried about supplying Syria with extra funds, keep in mind that the latakia you may be smoking is already paid for by those that purchased it to make the blends. It's not like they get per tin royalties.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
This seems to be a love hate matter for quite a few smokers. I think the LOTR connection is what really is at the root of the problem.
I like Tolkien quite a bit. I dislike sweet latakia blends. I'd guess lots of folks who dislike the Frog Mortons are in the camp of either not liking latakia, or not liking sweet and latakia together.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I am fond of Mac Baren HH vintage and I was fortunate to get a tin of Bohemiian Scandal from 2003. Which if you can afford it is the way to go but it's really hard to find. Anyway if you are a Latakia Blends here is a link for you. About a year ago a bunch from this forum created a list of the top rated Latika blends.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lets-make-a-top-5-latika-blend

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
I smoke both MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian and McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian. Both are great, and taste a lot alike with wonderful incense-like properties. Since I find them so similar, I'd recomend the MacBaren due to the lower price point. Arno's comparison of these two is a great read as well.
Also, if you're looking for something that contains a bit of Syrian Latakia, but more of other baccy types, I'd higly recommend both MacBaren's Solent, as well as McClelland's Wilderness. I like the Solent better between these two, great mix of flavors.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Wilderness is a superlative blend. Not to enter the political zone, but I just try and keep in mind that this serves to provide money to the Syrian regime.
Syria hasn't produced a leaf of Latakia in over a decade. Once McClelland and Mac Baren run out that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.