Best Smoke I've Ever Had (Vintage Dunhill)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
A little while back I picked up a tin of Dunhill London Mixture and decided to crack it open tonight. What greeted me upon opening the tin was a fantastic aroma of leather, spice and smoke. After removing the paper cover, I saw a dark mixture that looked like it was covered in little white crystals. It was the perfect moisture level so I loaded up my Tinsky Morta and went downstairs with a mug of tea. What followed was about just short of an hour of the best flavors I have ever experienced in tobacco. False light was nice and mellow as well as a bit musty. True light was when heaven began. I am really bad at describing flavors so suffice it to say it was one of the most intricate, delicate dances of smoke I could imagine. It burned to the bottom with that one light and some careful tamping, which is unheard of for me, leaving me with a light buzz and a desire for more, more, more. If I ever have a chance at this stuff again I'm going for it. The true bummer...it was only a tiny trial size tin that will give me less than 6 bowls this size by my calculations. Oh well, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
Here's a pic of the tin.

dunhill-london-tin.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The current incarnation of Dunhill's London Mixture is a daily smoke for me. I can only imagine what the original tastes like, especially with that age on it. Perhaps in thirty years my cellared tins of the current version may approach it.

Aug 1, 2012
I tried but the shots of the tobacco didn't come out showing much (crappy camera). The seller, Pipes2smoke on ebay, thought the tin came from the late '40s to early '50s.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I too, very much enjoy London Mixture, I smoke it when I want a lighter English. It has a nice complexity when it's fresh, I can only ponder as to how great it would be aged.
Enjoy!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Wow, that's an old tin! I've never even seen a trial size tin of anything! The oldest I've ever had of anything is 7 years old, some Mac Baren Roll Cake I recently purchased. I thought it was great, I can't even imagine a 60+ year old tin! Congrats!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good for you for diving in and enjoying the smoke rather than saving it as a curios or for some future magic day.

I'd save that tin.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
London Mix is one of my favs, good review and I wish I could try some vintage stuff!

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Stig (or Captain?),
I think KCGhost has it right - likely 80's based upon the U.K. designation. Some information on dating tins:
http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/tobdatepaper.html
Pease's Westminster is his "homage" to Dunill's London Mixture, which he writes about in some length on his website. In my usual unhelpful manner, I can tell you that I have tins of both but have yet to smoke either! Many do think Westminster is an excellent substitute for the older (pre-Orlik) variations of London Mixture.
Enjoy!

Aug 1, 2012
Stig (or Captain?)

Whatever works for you, I'm not picky.
After this thread, I did a bit of digging and yep, it's 1981-1990. Thanks for the impetus to check. I am pretty surprised at how it looked/smoked after such a short time. Didn't make it taste any different to me though :) still a fantastic smoke and worth every penny of the $16 I spent for it.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Definitely Murray's production. When Dunhill blended their own tobaccos the tins were labelled "Made in England".
One of my favourite English blends, so I can imagine the merging of flavours in that aged tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.