PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So I don't get to smoke a lot. In fact with a one year old, I am lucky if I get in two bowls a week. I have started smoking in the car either to or from work. It has been precarious at times but I have figured it out. This morning something clicked and I feel that I have just has the best smoke I have ever had. Under my avatar it says I joined in Jan 2011. I picked up the pipe about a month before that. So in just over two years I finally got a smoke that I just didn't want to end. Never had to relight it, traffic was slow enough to let me tamp when I needed to. And traffic was just bad enough to make the trip last for the entire bowl. With traffic in Houston (I have a 15 miles drive) my drive can take 15 minutes or an hour and a half. Good Monday so far.
So the details. I chose one of my new Chacom 1/4 Bent Dublins, Still not fully broke in yet. I have a glass dish that I put tobacco in to dry. I had left some of the new Lane Hazelnut from the last smoke I Had about 5 days ago. It still wasn't completely dry but smokeable. I picked Villager 1888 Mid-Day out of my stock and mixed in enough to make a bowl. The first time I tried Mid-Day and my next bowl will be a whole bowl of it. I thought it was very similar to Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Eaglerico, that is an AWESOME story, thanks for sharing. Nothing like having a great smoke and you don't even realize its great until you are almost done. I think that is the way it is supposed to be. I was smoking a Benton this weekend with some Frog Morton's Cellar while sharpening some garden tools by hand with a file (Spring has actually made a cameo here in southern NJ) and I finished a hand axe and some shears and the bowl was still burning. I wasn't thinking about the pipe, the tobacco, did I need to tamp......I was just smoking. I actually took it out of my mouth, examined the bowl, took a few puffs and she was still burning smooth. I finished it on the porch and it was the most relaxing yet satisfying feeling :)

Jul 15, 2011
Those smokes usually come after a long day of work where I am so frustrated I just want to bash someone in the face with a hammer. Preparing tobacco, drying tobacco, loading carefully, lighting just right, tamping just right, it forces me to slow down and I am concentrated on nothing else. I forget about the crappy day, I forget about dumbass co-workers, it's just me and my smoke and the nicotine helps take the edge off and calm me down a little. Its my 45 min.-an hour of me time. In any case, glad to hear that it clicked for you. Its a good feeling isn't it? :puffy:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
It's great when that happens. It all just clicks together like the perfect puzzle. They get more frequent tho the more you smoke your pipes. Pretty soon the blend / pipe match is down pat, and you can almost plan for it to happen. But its always magik when it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.