PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
I think readers would like to know where others on this forum have visited either b&m shops or pipe factories/makers. Are there locations you would recommend to others for good tobacco, pipes, chat, information, mood?

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
In my part of the south, tobacconists are few and far between. I've been to B&B in Asheville, NC which is nice compared to nothing, and their Old Limey Bastard blend is pretty good. There's a place in Atlanta called Puff and Stuff that has a pretty decent selection and a little spot to sit. So far, the best experience I've had was in Chambersburg, PA at the main Boswell's shop. I wish it wasn't 10 hours away. Probably better for my marriage that it is though...

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Ye Old Pipe Shop in Scottsdale, Arizona and Big Sticks in Mesa, Arizona. Up in Smoke in Dallas Texas are the only B&M i have been in. Ye Old Pipe is the best for new and estate pipe selection.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This has been a good for me with regard to pipe shop visits. I still need to get in a visit to smokingpipes, Country Squire, and LJ Perreti. Maybe the German houses in the future.
The Danish Pipe Shop, Copenhagen. August, 2018.

oUwhpft.jpg

BGJwrOS.jpg

Novelli, Rome. November, 2018.

VrKJGko.jpg

Nat Sherman, NYC. November, 2018.

wCR8nSd.jpg

WqBayPv.jpg

Others without pictures: Ye Old Pipe Shop, Scottsdale; Iwan Ries, Chicago, Davidoff, NYC/Atlanta/Las Vegas. And a few visits to pipe makers in their workshops.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Jackson MS is the home of one of the best shops I've been in. Granted I haven't been in many since the 1980s, but The Country Squire is a great place with a definite emphasis on pipes. Jon David is a really great guy and very knowledgeable. Try it, you'll like it!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Arlington Pipes & Cigars in Arlington Heights, Illinois and Tinder Box in Rockford, Illinois. Both cater mainly to cigar smokers but, they're fairly close to home. Also been to A La Pipe Du Nord in Paris where I purchased a numbered limited edition anniversary pipe crafted in the shop.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@npod - I love the storefront of Nat Sherman with the giant cigar and clock with the Indians. Thanks for posting pics.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Boswells in PA now has two locations, Chambersburg and a new location near State College.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/industry-spotlight/jm-boswell-stradivari-of-the-pipe-world/

Their hospitality is first rate.
JB Hayes in Winchester is also a great shop to visit.

http://oldtownwinchesterva.com/business-directory/shopping/specialty-shops-boutiques/john-b-hayes-tobacconist/

thedbs999

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2018
Wheeling, WV
I also got some Carolina Home and Old timer house blends from the Asheville store. I've not tried them yet as Iam letting them age in the cellar.
Dan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Pipes by George in Raleigh, N.C. where I've been a customer for decades. It is well balanced between pipes and cigars, and I've bought at least six or eight pipes from him and much tobacco and many supplies. I bought my second and third pipes from him, unfinished Savinellis. It's got a great rough hewn look and a convivial clientele. I enjoyed Nat Sherman in NYC, welcoming and well stocked, and I like their brand blends, notably NS 536.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
The Briar Shoppe in Houston has a very nice pipe, tobacco, accessory and cigar selection with great hosts to top it off. Croft’s in Houston used to have a nice selection of pipes, tobaccos and accessories until they closed.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Edward's Pipe shop on South Broadway in Denver is best I've been to, but I haven't been to any of the places mentioned above. They have a windowed hallway closet full of tins.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I have not traveled much so my shop experience might not be something to brag about but The Danish Pipe Shop have always been the best, both the old and new shop. Their service is amazing, always super helpful, great selection of everything.

Also the people working there is fantastic, Nikolaj and his team is just great. Last but not least Copenhagen is a fantastic town to visit. Its no secrets i love the Town and the Danish Pipe Shop, but every pipesmoker need to visit this place atleast once in there life.
Over and out from the fanboy :lol:

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have been to six different shops and the only one I suggest from countless positive experiences, excellent stock of tobacco, cigars, pipes and supplies... Edwards in Englewood, Colorado. I have been to other shops in Colorado and some along the east coast, but like my granpapi used to say, “If you ain’t got nothing nice to say, then don’t say it on the pipesmagazine.com forums”.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
My best visit to a shop that still exists was to McCranie's in Charlotte NC. They have an outstanding selection of tobacco, new and estate pipes. Very nice and helpful people there. Best visit over all was to a place called Wingenroth Pipe Shop in Lebanon PA. I nearly dropped when I walked in and saw their selection of tobacco. Unfortunately, Wingenroth's fell victim to the imposed tobacco tax hikes. I live in PA. I have yet to make it to Boswell's.

Status
Not open for further replies.