Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Best Selection of Pipes in Chicago ?

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

what store has the best selection of pipes in the Chicago area besides Iwan Ries ?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think that there's anywhere in the world that can begin to match the selection at Iwan Ries.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They advertise 15000 pipes in stock. I'm not sure there is another B&M in the world that can match that.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

15,000 ???? Yeah ok....I was just there last week

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. pipefish

pipefish

Login to Send PM

In their shop they've got pipes on the walls, pipes in drawers, pipes under glass....it's a buyers paradise, and friendly staff to boot. They also have almost every kind of tinned pipe tobacco on the market. Last time I was there I managed to pick up tins of Margate and Balkan Sobranie. Plus they have their own blends (I recommend Dr. Bradley). There's really no reason to go anywhere else in the Chicago area.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

15,000 ????

What you see in the cases is only some of what they have in stock. Most of what thy have is in the back rooms.
    Sometimes they have a very large selection of estate pipes too. Some times a thoughtful pause or little shrug will help the price a bit.8O

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I didn't find them to be that pleasant. I explained to the guy what I had smoked, and that I was looking for something different to try......and he just starred at me and never reccomended anything.,thanks for the tip on price haggling

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. pipefish

pipefish

Login to Send PM

I explained to the guy what I had smoked, and that I was looking for something different to try......and he just starred at me and never reccomended anything

That's disappointing to hear, weedsnager. I've always found them to be patient and helpful, especially with tobaccos. Surprised they didn't try to recommend one of their house blends to you. With so many tobaccos in stock in that place there's no way you should ever let you leave empty handed.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. spartanfan

spartanfan

Login to Send PM

What a great store - I've only had good experiences but every person who works retail can have a bad day now and then.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique