PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeearned

Lurker
Sep 14, 2014
I'm new to this sight. I'm a new pipe maker and I just claimed the rights to the greatest pipe design in the world. I would like to know, what companies should I sell these rights too? what companies will be able to cough up the biggest coin?

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
What loaded questions....
Maybe try to limit your questions to something more specific such as best pipe in a certain price range.
who makes the best pipes? - you are likely to find as many answers to this question as there are pipe makers out there

and what companies own the market? - None

most valuable pipe companies? - companies like savinelli peterson and dunhill seem to be really big

what pipes do you guys like to use? - I am starting to get into artisan pipes, something that is handcrafted by a person that I can talk to

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
The pipe world doesn't quite work that way. Usually artisan pipe makers just make and sell their pipes. Pipes, Pipe tobacco make up 2% of the worlds tobacco sales. If your design is that good, then make some pipes and sell them, if it takes off you might be able to sell them on the larger sites.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I'm a new pipe maker and I just claimed the rights to the greatest pipe design in the world
Ha! Hahaha! :rofl: Oh my, please... stop. Whoah, ha, ha ha! :rofl:
Seriously, glad you're here. Welcome to the community. You've got moxie. I hope you stick around in spite of what you might construe as my rudeness...
But, you just claimed the rights to the greatest pipe design in the world? He he... Hahaha! :rofl: :laughat:
I know a thing or two about innovation in pipe design. Want to run it by me in a PM? I swear I won't steal it; If you knew me, you'd know I don't need to steal designs. But I can tell you if you're really on to something or not.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lifeearned, welcome to the forum. This place has been getting a little sedate of late, so I thank you for your post. Before you start looking for that mansion, keep in mind that the pipe market is a pretty small niche market and that its members tend to be very loyal to their choices of make and smoke. Who makes the best pipes? Put ten pipe smokers in a room together to thrash that out and you will get 30 answers. Who is the most well known factory pipemaker with the highest pricing structure? That would be Dunhill. You can toddle off to them and see if they are interested.
If you have invented a better mousetrap, make it and sell it.
Thanks for the amusing post!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
PS - I like Barlings, but don't bother to look up their address. They've been gone for 35 years. Other than that, I like to smoke pipes by various artisan makers, such as Walt Cannoy, who has responded to your post, as well as other moribund British makers and a few top quality Italian makes like Castello and Ser Jacopo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dear Life', I understand your rush of enthusiasm. You will probably encounter some bumps in the road

whether your design is ready for prime time or not. You need to study-study-study the online retailers,

learn the quite vast range of brands, shapes, materials, and manufacturers. Many of the finest new pipes

made today are made by artisans who do not buy designs from others. A number of pipe manufacturers

are highly traditional and not in the market for designs unless by long established master artists, if them.

Many pipe companies have been bought up by larger companies and are ruled by business considerations.

After studying all this, it might be that your best road is to simply make this design your own and see if

you can develop a devoted clientele. This is not an easy way to make a buck, so you may end up doing it

more for love and pleasure than for a big profit and early retirement. Welcome to Forums. Good luck to

you. And don't be discouraged.

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Welcome to the forum.

I doubt you have the greatest pipe design in the world because I already thought of it.

I am just waiting for the right moment.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Wow. It is an honor to be on the same forum as the man who holds the rights to the greatest pipe in the world.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome to the forum, Life. You may be wondering why we all found your remarks so amusing. However, consider yourself fortunate that Walt, truly one of the world's greatest pipe makers, deigned to respond. Perhaps you might wish to spend some time reading a few hundred posts on this forum, and then you will have learned a great deal about pipes in general, and perhaps life in particular. I would also commend to your reading pleasure the forum rules, which prohibit new members from attempting to sell anything. The former owner is particularly zealous about banning new people who attempt to use his site as a sales medium. However, on the plus side, as a few others have remarked – if you have indeed discovered a new and better way to make pipes, a few thousand of us may be interested.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
This thread and the OP is almost as amusing and laughable as the posts and threads made by haja! :lol:

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
@lifeearned - idk if you really are a pipe maker but I'd would definelty take that offer from Mr.Cannoy. Maybe you can squeeze some secrets out of him. And if you aren't really a pipe maker, then become one and take the offer.

Aug 14, 2012
OK, a straight answer to an honest question. My favorite pipes are vintage Wilkes, Rad Davis, Savinelli high end and Dunhill.

Aug 14, 2012
OK, a straight answer to an honest question. My favorite pipes are vintage Wilkes, Rad Davis, Savinelli high end and Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.