PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Good afternoon pipe smoking friends, I'm looking to purchase a nicer pipe for myself within the next few months and I've given myself a budget of roughly $150. Now, I know myself well enough to know that 150 means up to 200 realistically. Any advice on some good pipes in this price range? I'm sure there will be a lot of input here, so feel free to voice your reasons. Thank you much!

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
There is not one best brand in the 150 range. Too many options. I like Ferndown and Northern Briars in the 200 range. I hear great things about moonshine pipes in that range also.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Comoys young man! None better in that price range. The hallmark or trend models should suit you. Google 'my smoking shop' here in England and knock yourself out!

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Rfernand, I suppose I mean something a little less mass produced. I firmly believe that craftsmanship is the best policy when working with anything wooden. Perhaps I'm looking for something that received more attention to detail in that regard. That being said, I also know that some of the cheaper pipes I've owned smoke just as well as my moderately priced pipes. Im just curious to try a pipe that rolled out of the factory with a little more love.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Another suggestion, Chris Askwith Hand Finished.
http://askwithpipes.com/handfinished.html

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I always forget about Chris hand finished pipes. LOL. My mind is always on his hand made pipes.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
earthbound: Does it matter if it's an estate pipe or do you want a brand new one? Are you into sandblasted pipes or smooth?

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I have to put a good word in for Icarus. Mine performs far outside of its price range in both function and level of material fit and finish. It seems to be a grade above my peterson and stanwell, and a half grade above my savinelli. There pipes are generally a bit small, but mine has become a nice little flake pipe.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Mark Tinsky makes some very nice pipes that are great smokers...click on catalog shapes for your price range.
http://webshop.amsmoke.com/Pipes/

Mar 1, 2014
My first thought is Briarworks, right now they're probably the most technically detailed factory made pipes.
Next would just be Savinelli, they're very nice.
You can find various hand made pipes in that range as well, but it seems like the makers of those pipes usually have a bit of a following and you have to be persistent to get one.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I cannot say enough good things about Moretti Pipes. My Moretti pipe is by far one of my best smokers and it is a beautiful handmade pipe. The current owner Marco, the son-in-law of the original pipe maker, is a very nice guy who will get you a beautifully crafted pipe. He sells pipes on his website, eBay, and takes custom orders. Here's Moretti Pipe's eBay to give you an example of some of their work:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/bima1960/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the up-market pipes by Johs, Savenelli, Stanwell, Nording, Neerup, Genod, Chacom, and BC are excellent at that price. In estate pipes, you can get some fine pipes at that price, but personally, I'd go to smokingpipes.com, Iwan Ries, or one of the other sponsor sites for estate pipes, to get a pipe that has been sanitized and will be as described on the site. Then there is a whole world of artisans who do beautiful work for beautiful prices, but you have to shop a lot and get to know who's who to get what you want at that price.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I think I'll go off-note here and suggest a Peterson Standard System. You're not buying perfect briar, but there is quite some hand labor put into them. Plus, The design is unique to the brand and a nice thing to have in one's collection. You may become a fan of the P-lip, the system, or both.
It should be possible to get a 302 under 150. Perhaps a 317 or 312 for less.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
My problem is if i had $150 to spend I'd end up with a bunch of Estate pipes from eBay !! maybe I should pause and save and go for a nice new Comoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.