PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbird

Lurker
Jan 13, 2017
Currently i have a simple pipe i like it i prefer longer pipes but i also like big bowl and curved pipes willing to spend a pretty penny for a awesome looking,great pipe, would be nice for a long lasting one, whatever is realy awesome looking,not to heavy

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
So you want it longer in the short places and curved in the straight ones? Big too but not heavy? That right?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
14925731_1409252645759263_2277138770230991083_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tbird, browse the online retailers and if possible go to pipe shops or a pipe show and look at a lot of pipes, and hold off buying a while. Once you see what's out there, you'll get some specific ideas of what might please you. I don't know whether you should want to spend "a pretty penny" or not. Some good pipes can be had for reasonable prices, but certainly some very fine pipes are available at high prices, but you want to know what you're getting. I think a lot of studying of pipe brands, shapes, materials, etc., will serve you well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Post some photos of pipes that are about what you seek!
(Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show. Bingo; now you've posted a photo directly!)

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
One ambiguous scatterbrained sentence with a single capital letter, two commas, and no period started whatever this is. Good luck with the dialogue, guys.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Longer, big bowled, curved, awesome looking, long lasting, and not too heavy. Look about right?
002-033-27521.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"One ambiguous scatterbrained sentence with a single capital letter, two commas, and no period started whatever this is. Good luck with the dialogue, guys."
Funny that, I counted four commas...admittedly they are well hidden :wink:
Regards,
Jay.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Hey, you're right. Hurt my eyes but I actually reread it without scanning over this time and there are four.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
My advice would be to NOT spend a "pretty penny" on any pipe. I get the impression that you may not have a lot of experiences to draw from when determining the type of pipe you like versus one you are sure you won't like. Here's my advice.

1. If you don't already own a billiard (straight or bent which ever you like better) that should be your next buy.

Spending more then $100-$150 should be unneccesary to obtain a new, beautiful billiard that you will be proud to be seen with. Savinelli would be a good brand to select. You don't have to use the filter they come with and each is shipped with an adapter to eliminate it. (Bonus! You get to experiment with filter pipes too!)

2. Once you have spent time with your billiard I would suggest a freehand from Nording. This will be wildly different from your billiard and you will begin to learn about your pipe preferences. Again these can be had for $100-$150 easily.

3. After you have had time with your stately billiard and your flashy freehand I would then suggest your next purchase be something with a short bowl such as a bulldog, pot, author or prince bowl. These will be a very different experience from your billiard and freehand.
If you follow my advice you will be well on your way to learning what you do and do not like. This will make it easier for the fine folks on here to help you locate future pipes to add to your collection.

As was (correctly) mentioned above, you NEED a rotation. Order 2 or 3 missouri meerschaum corncobs to smoke during days when your briars are resting/drying. You will be properly caring for your briars and gaining some great smoking pipes at the same time.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/76225/savinelli-unfinished-series-iii-pipes/
P&C restocked on unfinished Savinellis recently, it's pretty much the best option under 100$.

Status
Not open for further replies.