PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I've been smoking that blend in several pipes now but I don't seem to figure out which pipe does its best to it.

In what kind of pipe/bowl would you smoke that blend?

Maybe I need a bit of Tobacco Type vs Pipe Type 101?
I read somewhere that some blends work better in large/narrow/tall/short bowl...
I am a little lost here. Any links to good information on the matter?

Thanks gents.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Obviously, it's 2015... Typo, sorry, if a mod would be so kind to help me rectify this, that'd be great :)

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I find Virginias smoke better in a taller, narrower bowl. Brings out the sweetness. The biggest factor though is moisture, make sure it's not too wet and it should smoke good in most any pipe.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I didn't think it was a typo. The 2017 tins are stamped 2017. I figured they might have decided to come out with a new Christmas Cheer for the next 999 years successively before the new rules go into effect.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
What Code said.

Also, jar it up for a month or two (or decade :) )and see the difference.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Finding the best of your pipes for a blend shouldn't be a major dilema. Although some tobaccos tend to smoke better in one pipe over another, a pipe shape or size change is not able to make a blend you don't particularly like suddenly taste good; however, you may discover that a specific tobacco blend just seems to match a certain pipe or certain pipe sizes and shapes best. The reason is often burning characteristics but sometimes it's simply a personal preference. At least in my case, I have two or three pipes dedicated to specific blend types, such as pipes for English, others for aromatic, others for Burley. Interestingly, these are not all the same size and shape and assigned to a blend type based on those characteristics. It has been more of an evolutionary process, like so many aspects of pipe smoking; they are personal preferences developed through experience, mostly by fiddling just to find what works for you. In fact, it may be something you just stumble upon while getting familiar with a new to you blend.
General guidelines do exist, but these are personal because they are based on ones own smoking style.
I tend to put flakes in smaller bowls, but that is due to my inability to smoke large quantities of tobacco so this may not apply to others. I like Virginias and many aromatics in larger bowls, especially if ribbon cut. Other than that, I have a number of non dedicated pipes where I just throw in some tobacco and see what happens, usually with good results.
I conclude that although there is some merit in pipe and tobacco matching, it is very subjective.
But why take my word when you can read an article by G. L. Pease

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The MM Diplomat 5th Avenue is perfect for Va's ... smoked some McC's Aurora in one today, in fact!
The MM Mark Twain is perfect for ANY flake tobacco. :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
For 3015 I suppose it would be something like this... http://www.tuvie.com/wp-content/uploads/purisme-pipe1.jpg
But for 2015, some would consider a narrow chambered pipe best for a virginia flake.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Everything smokes better in any cob. My briars are dying in the closet. My two meershaums are are worth their salt in a heated battle against my 40+ cob army. The cobs swear a lot and are a sparky bunch. The meershaums, regal and poised. The briars always seem wet, tired and just kind of complain a lot about the lady Virginia.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Narrow, tall... Consider cobs... Ok, got it!
@anthony : interesting find, although I don't know if I'd want to smoke that. Seems cold and impersonal.

Jan 8, 2013
@anthony : interesting find, although I don't know if I'd want to smoke that
I wouldn't either. But in 3015 I might like it as I'm sitting in my captain's chair in my space going battle ship doing battle against an alien race of creatures that look like cute little hedgehogs.... or otters.... or sugar gliders or bunny rabbits or something.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have a bag of locally blended Christmas blend from a few years ago. They only sell it during the month of December.
I rather like it, so to keep it from becoming mundane I only smoke it at our family gathering on Christmas Eve.
It seems to be aging well.
I may have to come up with a special Christmas edition pipe, but for now I use the only Peterson I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.