banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   

Best Peterson Shape for Flakes

(57 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of Petersons, and their recent change in ownership and vows to improve QC has led me to search for a Peterson for my next PAD cure. Right now, my collection lacks what some would call a "flake pipe", which I believe is being rather tall and narrow. So, what would be the ideal shape(s) from Peterson to smoke mainly flakes?

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

Oh and I would love to hear everyone's favourite series from Peterson as well (i.e. Aran, Fermoy)!

Posted 7 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke flakes in my 03 shapes all the time. Great pipes for those Virginia's.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

alex, I don't find much difference in smoking qualities for flakes across my pipe shapes. As to favorite series, has to be the Sherlock Holmes series with their many attractive styles, though I get them in the Kinsale version.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I would guess that any of these shapes would work well with flakes, they are all relatively small pipes, the Belgique, Tankard or Barrel. Barrel's and Tankard's pop up often on Ebay.
    https://peterson.ie/collections/barrel-tankard-calabash

Al

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a shape shifter here when it comes to maximizing pleasure from a smoke. Have a couple of bent billiard Arans which I like, but have a number of fills. They are my driving pipes.

Sometimes smoking flake I stack the bits vertically, and there a wider chamber is the thing.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  7. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke flakes in my pot from time to time and it does just fine.

Tim
    Posted 7 months ago #
  8. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly there is lot of hot air expressed about "flake pipes" or pipes that smoke flake well. Pots are frequently said to be flake pipes. What do you mean when you say this? You don't say., nor do you define "better." I begin to think you don't know, otherwise you would say things like the flavors were sharper, more focused or more clear. You would say that they were richer or lingered. But you don't say that either.

Now you have complete freedom over what you believe, and my opinions about your claims have no more validity than if they issued from an oyster. But continuing the metaphor, I think there is something fishy about any claim that supports bowl geometry.

Unless you can clearly say what you mean when you make these claims, or better still replicate them by reference to another smoker's palate that finds the same flavors that you do in their "flake pipe," which is more than likely different than yours, which in and of itself destroys your argument, I would appreciate but can never command, your silence.

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer a pipe that has more parallel vertical sides to the chamber, so that a flake can be folded and stuffed, as in illustration A. In B, the flake would expand out with heat and become harder to draw as you smoke it. Besides, conical chambered pipes, as in illustration B, are better for rubbed out or loose cut Virginias, because they focus the flavors as the bowl progresses.

:o) We've had this discussion, or else I am having Deja Vu. I have more illustrations if you'd like to further discuss bowl geometry and it's affect on flavor? But, in this case it is merely geometry in that the flake fits into the pipe chamber better.

Michael
    Posted 7 months ago #
  10. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to agree - while a pipe 1" wide and 3" deep probably isn't a flake pipe per se (how many flakes can one smoke at once??) just about anything else will work.

The idea that there's a single bowl geometry that would work best for both a 1.5mm cut sweetened flake like Brunello and a coarsely-cut latakia flake like a Gawith .... seems far fetched.

Anything smaller than 5/8" diameter is very small. Anything bigger than 7/8" diameter is pretty big. And just about anything in between there works for.... everything! Flakes too, even.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just know that every pipe someone has shown me that came with the tagline, flake pipe, had parallel sides. As to sizes and dimensions, it can vary on personal preference.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally, I would agree with cosmic when folding and stuffing a flake. I like to choose one of my cobs that have a definite square shape to the inside of the bowl, when looking at profile. They allow the flake to slip in all the way down to the bottom and below the rim much better for me than one with a U-shape or angled bowl sides. It also allows for even expansion of the flake throughout the bowl as it heats up.

Now this is entirely different when I decide to rub one out, since then it doesn't seem to really matter what the bowl is shaped like to me, it always smokes the same. Just have to make sure I leave enough room for expansion and try not to fill it too tightly.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally lean away from pots for flakes, at least wide diameter pots. If one folds and stuffs, I find keeping whole flake lit in a very wide bowl causes the smoker to smoke too fast. Just a musing.

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The term "flake pipe" belongs right up there with "left handed tea cup". Find a pipe you like, and put what you want in it. Stuff and fold, cube cut, rub it out, it all works just fine. The marrying that compression has done is undone once you immolate it.

More to the point is is the moisture level when immolated. Don't have that right, the flavors don't come out to play, and it doesn't matter one whit the shape of the sandbox.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So... using chamber design in illustration B would just the same as in a chamber shape in illustration A? I am not sure if I am following what you are saying. Immolate, of course refers to igniting it, with a connotation of sacrifice, but what do you mean about moisture and marrying?
    Do you mean that the flake expands when lit? ...thus using a conical shaped chamber would be problematic with causing a strained draw, as I tried to explain?
    Sorry, words... me no good at sometimes.

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never distinguished between pipe shapes for flake; however, I would say that small pipes can make a full-length smoke, in many cases, out of flake, coin, plug or rope, since they burn a little slower, often times. But big bowls work too. With a big bowl, I'd usually end up coming back later to finish up, and the second half would be every bit as good.

Posted 7 months ago #
  17. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait, you mean my left handed tea cups are actually right handed coffee cups?

You have issues man!!

I was sitting here minding my own business when, all of a sudden, my left handed tea cups get called out.

Not cool man, not cool.

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

So... using chamber design in illustration B would just the same as in a chamber shape in illustration A? I am not sure if I am following what you are saying. Immolate, of course refers to igniting it, with a connotation of sacrifice, but what do you mean about moisture and marrying?
    Do you mean that the flake expands when lit? ...thus using a conical shaped chamber would be problematic with causing a strained draw, as I tried to explain?
    Sorry, words... me no good at sometimes.

Compression - as is used to make flakes - enhances the marrying of flavors of the various components. That, and it was also a compact and convenient way to transport tobacco for consumption. Set fire to it and that's over and done with. Too much moisture in the tobacco masks flavors. You know all this.

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know all this

Sorry, yes yes... I was distracted by... I was trying to hold my coffee with my left hand and spilled the shit all over my keyboard. Where does one get these left-handed coffee cups?

Posted 7 months ago #
  20. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the Flake pipe shop.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Sorry, yes yes... I was distracted by... I was trying to hold my coffee with my left hand and spilled the shit all over my keyboard. Where does one get these left-handed coffee cups?

Well, it just so happens that I received a shipment of them from Mars and as I have an exclusive planetary distributorship I'm in the position of offer you a golden shower of a business opportunity.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where does one get these left-handed coffee cups?

I thought everyone knew? I got mine at the Left-Handed-Emporium. They have everything needed to complete your left-handed lifestyle:

Coffee Cups:

Pencil Grips (for when you need to make a right-handed pencil, a left-handed pencil):

And even Left-Handed Pipes!:

Posted 7 months ago #
  23. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like my Peterson special D5 (Narrow tall bowl)for folded flakes,nonthless Its a bit hard to keep going if the tobacco is not properly dry,another Peterson which I prefer for lightly rubbed out flakes(especially those of Burleys ones)is the Rhodesian 999 model with medium size conical chamber.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 7 months ago #
  24. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

a golden shower of a business opportunity.

Now that man's words are golden!

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Going back to the original pre-piss-shower discussion. Salted inserts the assumption, again, that shape of the bowl has no affect on flavor. Even though we have discussed that many, many of us do discern differences in flavors. However, it is NOT flavors that we discuss here. But, merely a pipe that makes inserting a folded and stuffed flake easier.
    Sure, there is no one geometry that is commercially called a "flake pipe." I don't think I have ever seen that in marketing literature for a pipe.

However, there are pipes that people may prefer to chose as their own private "flake pipe."

We can return to the discussion on how Salted is totally wrong in his presumption that pipe geometry doesn't affect flavors in another thread. I can pull out the usual images, stats, and pie charts for that one.

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For one example, the Peterson 999 Rhodesian is a fine mid-size pipe for flake. I happen to have the Killarney.

Posted 7 months ago #
  27. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rub it out and it's no longer a flake!

Dot
    Posted 7 months ago #
  28. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only smoke my own pipes, so my experiences are limited to those lucky few. I have one Peterson 999. I have not gotten flakes to behave well in it. Too many relights for a shallow chamber. It is very good with ribbons. The pipes that work best with flakes for me have billiard or dublin/bulldog type chambers (Cosmics 1 and 2) small to medium sized. The dublin/bulldogs are more prone to tighten into a soggy bottom mess.
    I plan on buying a Peterson one of these days. I have been looking at their shape 221. It is a bent billiard on the smaller side. I guess it would go well with flakes. As would many others.
    A billiard. Go for a billiard, that is my advice.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  29. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I use conical bowls for flakes.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 7 months ago #
  30. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We can return to the discussion on how Salted is totally wrong in his presumption that pipe geometry doesn't affect flavors in another thread. I can pull out the usual images, stats, and pie charts for that one.

Kind of an interesting thread when I went back and re-read the posts. After re-reading, I was left scratching my head a little as to who saltedplug was so riled up at. Not that it matters, but the op definitely didn't need a reprimand by any means. I did admit to smoking some flake from time to time in a pot - not my first preference but willing to stray off the beaten path once in awhile.... yeah, must of been me. Sorry.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it is a long time debate that Salted likes to preclude. He’s a good guy, probably found something that struck him. I just keep my responces ready to copy and paste into the discussion when it comes up. He is a worthy advesary on the topic... when we can work it into a thread.

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, I'll tread carefully. Oh, and billiards, billiards all the way for me. Go billiards!

Posted 7 months ago #
  33. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also enjoy some flake tobacco in conical chambers.

I smoke burley flake in my morta, which has the cylindrical shape "A" in Cosmic's first post. I smoke the Old Dark Fired in a Dublin shaped more like "B" in that illustration.

While the burley flake seems not to differ, I definitely get "deeper" tones in the second half of the ODF flake that I have attributed to the conical shape. I suppose there could be other factors involved, but I've not identified them.

You should always try many combinations of things to find what works best for you and, even if others disagree, well it's your smoke and as long as you're satisfied, life is good.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  34. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My post was arrogant and angry. I apologize. More, I've posted like this any number of times and it really needs to stop. Again, I apologize.

Posted 7 months ago #
  35. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't sweat it Salted. It adds to your salty demeanor, and that's why we tolerate love you.

Posted 7 months ago #
  36. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tolerance/love

Posted 7 months ago #
  37. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I couldn't figure out why you were so Salty.... but here's a Plug.

Posted 7 months ago #
  38. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And for the record, I'll never smoke flake in a pot again. Well, if I do, I just won't admit to it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  39. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some say they prefer the conical shaped bowl when using the fold and stuff method for flakes as they claim doing so helps to leave a bit of an air pocket in the heel of the bowl allowing for better air flow and in theory keeping the tobacco burning longer.

Flakes can be a bit stronger nicotine wise, so if you're going for a bowl of Peterson's Irish Flake I would suggest using a smaller chamber size, so you don't keel over from the nicotine. Other than that it's all personal. For some VAs sing in a Dublin shape for others English blends do well in a squat bulldog. You might want to alcohol/salt treat the pipes and try the blend in different shapes to see how they react for you and once you find the shape that works best dedicate the pipe to that blend style.

As for the favorite Peterson series I would have to agree both of the Sherlock Holmes series are iconic Peterson. I'm planning on putting together a personal seven day set of them.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 months ago #
  40. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure this will make any sense to you nor that you really want to know, but my salt is a rebellion against the pepper of existence. It is self-will. While angry and arrogant I feel powerful when in fact I am powerless.

Returning to earth there about a half-dozen myths about pipe smoking that I rub up against so often that they piss me off. Opinions are fine but not control.

Posted 7 months ago #
  41. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shake it off Salted. It's all good. You've got passion and you help keep things interesting around here. I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Posted 7 months ago #
  42. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For rubbed out flakes, I like the 03/303, 02/302. (apple shape, conical shape)

For folded and stuffed I like the XL105, 106, 107 (billiard shape parallel sides)

For ribbon cuts, it's whatever I'm in the mood for.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  43. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From fold-andl-stuff to many various stages of rubbing out covers a lot of ground. Flake broken up is still pretty much flake. At the other pole, I sometimes rub out and then grate flake, but it still burns a little longer than most loose tobacco.

Posted 7 months ago #
  44. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but it still burns a little longer than most loose tobacco

That's what I love about rubbed out flakes, they burn slower and cooler. I tend to, unless I pay attention, a hot smoker. I get my cadence up there, and rubbed out flake helps, a lot. (Also, it helps that I smoke mainly Lat blends)

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You've got passion and you help keep things interesting around here. I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Thank you! That helps me right now.

But you know what they say about passion.. .

Posted 7 months ago #
  46. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What does who say about passion? I know a few but I don't think they are relevant here.

Posted 7 months ago #
  47. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not only does rubbed out flake smoke longer, it also swells more than ribbon cut. So don't pack it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  48. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not only does rubbed out flake smoke longer, it also swells more than ribbon cut. So don't pack it.

Typically when I rub a flake out it tends to smoke a lot quicker. If I fold and stuff the flake then it tends to take considerably more time to finish the bowl.

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fold and stuff I like narrow bowls. Maybe it’s a mental thing. Rubbed out flake I will smoke in anything. I view it the same as a ribbon cut

Posted 7 months ago #
  50. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Mkelaw Pipes just listed a nice Tankard for $55:
    http://mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee4321.html

Weight = 0.9 oz = Magic!

Posted 7 months ago #
  51. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@lordofthepiperings: I meant it smokes longer than ribbon cut. Not longer than a folded flake.

Posted 7 months ago #
  52. enrikon

enrikon

Login to Send PM

Leaving aside the banality that any tobacco can smoke in any pipe, I find it better to smoke flakes (not crumbled) in pipes chimney. This is because the brazier has a smaller surface and the smoke is governed better. The whole flakes, in fact, burn worse.
    But usually the flakes I crumble them.

On the other hand, on the discussion that the shape of the pipe changes the taste of tobacco, I think it is true, but this may also depend on the fact that there are no 2 briars (or, if you want, two pipes) with the same taste.

Posted 6 months ago #
  53. puffermark

puffermark

Login to Send PM

I have a battered old 309. Probably the best flake pipe I have.

Posted 6 months ago #
  54. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try to get a Chimney/Stack shape with a cylindrical bowl. Perfect flake bowls/pipes.

Peterson POY 2017 is a fine example.

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  55. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just picked up a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Hansom from MKELaw pipes (Forum Sponsor) and it's my new Flake Smoker Extraordinaire.

Posted 6 months ago #
  56. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try to get a Chimney/Stack shape with a cylindrical bowl. Perfect flake bowls/pipes.

Peterson POY 2017 is a fine example.

Do you mean 2016 POTY? The 2016 was a chimney/stack. The 2017 is a devil's anse.

I have 3 2017 POTY, they smoke great, but I think you meant the stack pipe of 2016.

Posted 6 months ago #
  57. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm not a flake smoker (OGS in the summer), but this pre-Republic Bullcap should lend itself nicely to flakes(petite size,decent bowl). It's still available in the classifieds section.

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sparrowhawk, mityahicks, charf