PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
When I started smoking a pipe, I was told to use the three step method. At the time I was smoking mostly ribbon, ready rubbed, or shag cut. The three step method did not work for me. My pipe would gurgle and never seemed to burn right. Then I read an article that showed how to use the airpocket and Frank method. Those work great for ribbon. You take a wad of tobacco and stuff it tightly in the top 3/4 of the pipe: Hence the air pocket. With crumble cut, I use the gravity feed. I am sure you other guys have suggestions.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
For my Ribbon cut, Shag cut or whatever you want to call it the three step has worked pretty well for me. When I first started smoking I would pack it really big and really tight.
For my Flakes I roll it into a ball and utilize the air pocket technique.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I generally use the three step method but with a slight twist. The first pinch I roll between my fingers and push it into the pipe. The next pinch is done in the same manor and the third is done in the conventional way. It is a variation of the air pocket method.

As I prefer my flakes rubbed out, I do them the same way except i use only two pinches.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I like the air pocket method for ribbon, and the fold and stuff for flakes.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
The 3 layer method (finger of a baby, finger of a lady, finger of a man) was the one that made me realize what pipe smoking had to offer. Before then, I thought pipe smoking was limited to 20 minute smokes, tongue bite, and a lot of lighting.
I still use the 3 layer method most of the time, but not as strictly as I did when I first learned it. Over time, I've developed the sense of feel for it.
Now my bowls average around 45 minutes for a medium sized pipe, I never get tongue bite, and usually only have to light once after the initial charring light.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have learned a trick. I like to pack my pipes tight, because they have small bowls. So, when using the air pocket method I insert a thick pipe cleaner into the bowl, and pack tight. The pipe cleaner seems to insure that there is some space for air in the bottom.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Me too,

Do you ever burn part of the "Peep Cleaner"?
"Peep Cleaner" from Murder on the Orient Express, Just a little crossing over from the Movie Quotes string. :)

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The Frank method seems to work really well for me, except for Irish Flake which (even when rubbed out) has to be packed pretty lightly.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
After over 40 years of smoking a pipe I use what I call the geezer grab and stuff method. I grab some tobacco and stuff it in the pipe. Educated fingers know when it's packed right.

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
i used to use the 3 step pack, but it always came out a bit weird. So i use a two step method instead!! i smoke a smaller pipe usually, as i dont have much free time, so the three step was just too much for a little pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.