PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Its officially Winter up here in the good old Pacific Northwest which means even more wind and rain with the possibility of snow and I find myself smoking my pipe out of doors more and more often.
Anyway, I was just wondering if the intrepid outdoorsmen of the Forum have found a pipe shape that seems to work a bit better with the inclimate weather then any of the others.
Personally, all I have are two straight billiards and a bent dublin and none of them seem to fair too well. Just trying to get an idea of what I need to start looking for in regards to my next pipe acquisition.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
You might want to search ebay for a hurricane pipe? They show up from time to time. I just put a wind cap on one of my pipes and figure that is good enough.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I would think with the wind that a taller bowl would be better, especially if packed a bit lower than the top so that the wind doesn't kick some of the burning tobacco onto you. I have a pair of athletic shorts to tell THAT story with many tiny burn holes.
I go with smaller bowl pipes or half packed larger bowls with the cold setting in.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Maybe you need a wind cap, my friend. Unfortunately, I live in the swamps of South Louisiana, and don't know about that kind of cold. But I do know that windy days can be murder on a pipe, and a wind cap can help keep the bowl from burning out.
I might suggest a bowl that is thicker on the bottom, like a brandy shape. More briar means more insulation. A Neerup bent brandy might be the hot ticket for you. I love mine, though I do not know how it handles cold weather.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Out of doors I find a full bent chin-hugger to be a wise choice. It doesn't get in the way of anything like branches in a lunt through the forest, and it's easy enough to shield from the rain with the palm of your hand. A Pete 303 oughta get the job done.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd think first of a full-bent pipe, easy to clench, in a billiard or pot shape, wind cap if needed.

Jan 8, 2013
My St Patty's Day 2013 Pipe is an XL90 shape, that I bet would be perfect. It's a big thick bowl with thick walls, and nice and round on the bottom. This should help protect it from getting too hot on a windy day even as you get near the end of your smoke. Of all my pipes, this one feels the most comfortable in the hand as well and it has a nice bend to it which helps with clenching. It is a bit heavy though, so I do use a softy bit, although I don't clench too often anyway. I know there's a lot of talk about the quality of Petersons lately, but among my pipes, this is my best smoker, and I've had no problems with stain coming off, and the drilling is dead center.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
For me,a small full bent is the way to go outdoors. Easy to hang, or put into a pocket for sneaking quickly into a shop. Indoors, not so good as smoke gets in your eyes.
I noticed in France many pipers lunting, and they all smoked billiards. Didn't see a single bent being smoked. I think they don't care about the cold wind burning up their tobacco for them, but I don't like that when I smoke.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Check out the Stanwell Featherweight line. Recently picked one up for $65 and love it. Super light and just the right size.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Run a search on " Hunters " pipe.

What you will find will be of interest.

Here is an example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BRUYERE-SMOKING-PIPE-HUNTERS-TOBACCO-SWISS-BLACK-FOREST-WOOD-HOODED-/350928564147
There are some very cool pipes in this vein.
With that said, this page also has some ultra cool pipes:

http://www.dmpipes.com/pipes.html
SC

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Some thing like this?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=80907

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
On bad winter days up here (See Blizzard) I tend to go with my Stanwell De Luxe 95 with a windcap. Very thick walled and the bowl is not terribly deep which is okay when its minus 40 with the wind chill. I also run a cob diplomat nose warmer with the windcap as well. Just about any pipe will get you where you need to go just take the right precautions.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lunting (walking while smoking a pipe) and ice, slopes, rough footing, don't go together. Even with a bent pipe,

you don't want to take a fall with a pipe in your mouth, for your teeth's sake, throat and gums. 'Nough said.

The safety officer strikes again.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I saw a hurricane pipe like the one in the link on ebay a few weeks ago. I did not win it but it sold for around $30. Some good looking ones sell at higher prices. I search in the ending soonest and newly listed. Keep your eyes open one will pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.