PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Hey All,
I'm looking for a good, cheap smoke that I can keep in my car during the summer. It needs to be readily available at a cheap price. There is a Smoker Friendly near me that carries all the OTCs and that's about it. OTCs seem perfect for what I'm looking for. Now, before you start throwing out your recommendations, let me say that I can't stand Captain Black blends. It's a shame. I used to love 'em. I really can't stand how they gunk up my pipe and my mouth and the flavor isn't that great. Also, it's expensive. But enough about that. I've found Carter Hall, which is really decent. I guess I'm wondering about the other brands. Half&Half, Prince Albert, etc... I've read a bunch of reviews but I don't trust those people like I trust you.
So, I'm turning it over to you. What should I try next in the OTC section?

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Walnut seem to be the trinity of OTC blends. I have yet to score Walnut, but the other two have a clean simplicity that is easy to verlook, but hard to deny once recognized. Also, Five Brothers, if you want your butt whipped, although it does blend in nicely with wetter aros to give them some smokability, and punch.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I wouldn't know anything about OTC blends so can't help you much... but I had a non-aro/faux english blend that my, unfortunately no longer local, B&M mixed that was $3.50 an ounce and it is still one of my favorites. That is only 50 cents more than carter hall when it's not on sale. Maybe you could get lucky and find a house blend like that that is reasonably priced. good luck in your search

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Of the OTCs, I've had CH, PA, & SWR. CH is a daily smoke for me. I find I'm occasionally in the mood for PA and it blends amazingly well with anything with a touch of vanilla in it. I don't really care for SWR. I would recommend trying PA next. To me it has a super light chocolate and nut flavor that blends well with the tobacco.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Not a fan of Captain Black either (love the smell, though). But I can vouch for Prince Albert, especially if you like burley. Haven't tried CH, but the same people who like PA tend to like CH as well.

Jul 15, 2011
SWR Aromatic is a good smoke for me. I am also pretty fond of Half and Half. Carter Hall is OK but there are other smokes that are more flavorful. I like the way that Carter Hall burns however. I myself am fond of Captain Black in a pinch too however.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Quincy, all of the above. These members have given a good summary of the Forums consensus.

I always pipe up (haw-haw) for Granger, which is a pleasant, all Burley (except for a bit of dressing

which makes it technically an aromatic). If you can taste and enjoy Burley, which about a half or

a third of pipe smokers can, it's good. All that said, with bulk tobacco being reasonable and competitive

with OTC in pouches, I'd consider buying 8 or 16 oz of a bulk tobacco you like, store most in a canning

jar, and put a ziplock snack bag of it in the car. The car storage is going to cook it and dry it out some,

so you don't want to leave much there at a time. Just thoughts. I agree, a nice foil pouch of OTC is

a nifty way to carry and use tobacco, kind of its own separate pleasure. Just thoughts.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like most OTC blends but I'm not a fan of SWR and I haven't tried their aromatic either. Half and Half has a weird casing to it; licorice I think and I am not fond of it. For my money CH and CBW are the way to go and I am really tempted to try the new CB Dark it has some good reviews going so far. All I can say is If you find one you like invest in a tub save yourself some money and keep it fresh. Happy smoking! :puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I like mso489's idea but add a humi-pillow/coin to the Baggie.
For the OTC I like CH, H&H, and occasionally PA Soft Vanilla and Cherry. Can't comment on Walnut as I've yet to try it.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
When I do visit the local B&M it's always Carter Hall I leave with. I have been known to pick up a package of Captain Black white as well.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I want to say that they also have one called "Sail" or something like that and there's an "apple" flavored one too. Maybe Middleton's? I don't know. I'd have to go look. No one has mentioned them so I expect they are about as good as that Paladin Cherry someone gave me early on. I don't like drinking cough syrup let alone smoking it!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I don't know much about Sail. I haven't tried Apple yet, but it is a Middleton's product. Apple seems to be a love it or hate it blend. Being that I enjoy Burley I'm willing to give it a shot, but it isn't high on my list. I figure if I don't like it I can just blend it with some CH or give it to a friend of mine that only smokes aromatics.

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
Prince Albert is my number one tobacco, but I keep a tub of sir walter, Carter hall, half and half,velvet and granger at all times. I may go a week or two without opening one tub or another but the mood strikes for all of the above on a regular basis. I also find them to be good reset smokes when I have just had too much Latakia or perique upscale blends. My cellar is half codger blends and half tobacconist/dunhill/Cornell and those type blends. There is a reason they have been around for decades, they are just good solid tobacco for any pipe!

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Carter Hall here.

Prince Albert just never did it for me. Years ago I smoked a Walgreen's burley that was available in a giant f***in' bag. Haven't seen that for a long time though

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Holy thread resurrection, batman!
For me it's a toss up between Carter Hall and Sir Walter regular. This thread is fairly old, so it should be noted that Walnut is no longer commonly available. May even be discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.