PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
My favorite tobacco company use to sell this mix as a gathering of tobaccos that spilled or mislabeled. Now it is a regular mix that is the same bag after bag. I really liked the hodge podge of the earlier batches. Never knew what it would be like, but always good. Anyway, just saying I miss it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting. I don't like that a standard blend is being passed off as a gamish. If they don't have enough random "sweepings," they should just sell that at the shop. I see the problem, more demand than leftovers. In selling stuff, honesty is the best policy. Once the customer loses faith, he/she will take the business where they feel more informed, grounded, and respected.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I have most of two pounds of BOTR from 2016. One is pretty dark and plummy, and one is lighter and lightly aromatic. Both were pleasant but pretty far from anything I typically smoke. I'd trade it all for two different random tins. If you are interested, I'll dig them out of the cellar, weigh them, and give you a better review.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One hedge would be to say in the text that this is an approximation of the random blends, done to satisfy the demand. As long as they 'fess up, I'd take the "blend" for what it's worth.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
p1000134-112x150.jpg

I have a couple pounds of the older mix and enough of the new stuff. The newer I have been giving away to folks the smoke OTC tobacco. I won't be ordering anymore of the "ROTB".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had one experience developing my own "best of the rest" blend, and decided, as a matter of comparison, I got better results mixing single leaf, blends, or condiments in a calculated way, keeping the combinations to two or three constituents, though sometimes with more complex professional blends. When I just threw all the dregs and leftovers in one jar and shook it up, the results were often somewhat muddy in terms of taste, and could get pretty harsh about half way through the bowl. Whereas, when I limited the mix more, and applied a little thought, I got some outstanding smokes.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I bought a pound of rest of the Best several years back. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't my cup of tea, or bowl of tobacco, either. I shipped it off the David Shane and he gave it away via the Free Pipe Project.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a fun idea, throwing the dregs in a big jar and, in the imagination, coming up with a delectable smoke. "Hope springs eternal in the human breast./ Man never is, but always to be blessed." Alexander Pope, if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.