Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebartelt

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
I believe it is pipesandcigars.com that is selling a "Best of the Rest" tobacco in bulk. Leftovers that fall from the measurements basically. That got me to thinking, what if I did the same with my own? I mixed some Prince Albert original, Supervalue Cherry, and some Central Park Stroll together to make. I'm letting it settle for a few days but depending how this goes I may just keep adding to the mix.
Does anyone else do this?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. Quite a few of us mix our left-overs together. I call mine "Toaster Leavin's". I can't recall what's in it but there have to be the remnants of at least 30 blends. It's turning into quite an interesting melange. Good luck with yours.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I once knew a fella who ran a smoke shop who did that.He called it..The Kitchen Sink..It was different every time I tried it.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I do but I dont have a name for that jar, Wait Ive been calling it "Catch all". Basically thats what it is I guess. Baccy for hard times.

I bought a pound of P&C's "Best of the Rest"(Great gifting tobacco) this last time. Gave a ziplock baggie full to a friend at work who kinda got me smoking the pipe. He now smokes a Medico VFG Canadian I had $16 in which he reimbursed me for. He loves it. He had been smoking a Dr Graybeard, LOL that had a cracked shank and a pipe clamp on it. He's sold on Canadians now.

bebartelt

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
Glad to know I'm not the only one, though I figured that may be the case. Any thoughts on what to mix? By that I mean, do you all mix english and aromatic?

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Where do you guys get those leftovers from?! My tin always smokes till empty :(
By that I mean, do you all mix english and aromatic?
I would think that would be disastrous.
There are a few English aros from C&D. Never tried them, but apparently it works for some.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
My left over come from sprinkling a pinch out to dry and theres some left generally. To the catch all jar.
I just took some of the "Best of the Rest" added some blending latakia(20%)and blending perique(10%) Pretty good!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Mine is called "The Dregs". This is the last bit that's not enough for a full bowl. I throw whatever is leftover in there. English, aero, VA,...thats all part if the fun.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Smoked some Cut Escudo Campaign today and as you can imagine the combination of Cut Virginia Plug, Escudo, and Wessex Brigade Campaign was delicious. I carry my flakes together in a tin in my pipe bag, the crumbles get mixed together.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I bought a pound of P&Cs BOR when they had it on sale for like $13.00 a pound. Why?? Because I thought it should not be that bad at that price. You know, I found it to be pretty good for MY TASTES and at that price. To each his own. Smoke what ya like, like what ya smoke.(also have a bits and pieces "scrap" jar)...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have a large glass counter-top-style jar which once held Barnum's Animals animal crackers, and I put all of my pipe-tobacco leftovers in it. Sometimes the mixture is better than others, but it's always different, and I find myself turning to it when I'm in a "I don't know what I want to smoke today" mood.

Jan 8, 2013
I have two :) Puff'n Stuff, which is a mixture of mostly my aromatics with a teeny tiny bit of balkan/english. I now reserve anything with latakia for the second mix I call Black Dragon's Rage, a mixture of balkan/english blends and anything noticeably dark in color, aromatic or not. It's actually coming along quite nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to mix the leftovers in a thoughtful way. I've found that if you just pitch it all in a jar together,

it can get pretty harsh or bland. So I will take what's left of a good blend (usually not quite a bowl)

and mix it with an appropriate burley or Virginia, to not get too much going on. Then I might flavor

it with a pinch of black Cavendish, Lat, or Perique, if I think that will complement the mix. To just

sweep the floor, as it were, has had unpleasant results for me. There is a reason the professional

blenders are paid good money to do what they do.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I might be in the minority on this one, but the idea of blending together random tobaccos in a "catch all" type mix just sounds really unappealing.
I like to know what I'm smoking, who blended it, and if I can get more if I like it. I'm kind of the same way with vintage tobaccos as well. I hate smoking discontinued stuff because I can't replace it. One of my quirks I guess.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have twice bought Best-of-the-rest from P&C and the first time it was rather amazing: Smelled like English and tasted more like an quiet aromatic. Quite a surprise. The second batch was more Va-P which I honestly don't care for. You never know and frankly, I am not sure I will try it again. But I have always gotten a kick out of finishing a tin or bag to the very bottom; since I don't smoke every day, it gives me a feeling of accomplishment...

Status
Not open for further replies.