Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozzman555

Lurker
Oct 21, 2014
Hello everyone,
I did a quick search and found a few topics that were close to this but nothing exactly on. I'm wondering what your favorite non-aromatic bulk tobacco's are (no hate for aro's, just not my cup of tea). I've ordered and love the H&H Anny Kake, SPC Plum Pudding and have some SPC Mississippi River en route. I'm not made of money and sadly can't afford to buy a bunch of tins of my favorite blends, like FM's Cellar or McC's Grey Havens, so what are your top choices?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Some of my favorite bulk blends are:
Seattle Pipe Club - Mississippi River

Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding

Peter Stokkebye - Balkan Supreme

Peter Stokkebye - Twist Flake

Peter Stokkebye - Navy Flake

Cornell & Diehl - Star of the East (ready rubbed)

Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader

Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe

Dunhill - Nightcap

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Loose bulk.
VaPer

PS - LNF and LBF
VaBur

C&D's - Briar Fox
English/Balkan

C&D's - Mountain Camp, Super Balkan

Dunhill - Nightcap, EMP
Burley/Kentucky
Mac Baren - Old Dark Fired
Virginia

McClelland's - 5100 Red Cake
Also keep in mind, I think bulk means to me anything over 2 oz. C&D and Pease and Capt Earle offer most everything in their line in 8oz cans. Some even are in 16oz cans. P&C has quantity discounts on lots of tins too when you buy many tins/cans at once. That saves some money.
There are too many good ones to list for me. For example with C&D. I usually buy a 2oz tin of something I might be interested in, and if it's good, from that time forward I just buy the 8oz cans. The price per oz is significantly less when you by it by the 1/2 lb.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A lot of my faves have already been mentioned, but I will throw in 4Noggins Owl's Head and Chipmann Hill. These days, you can really get some excellent tobaccos in bulk!
Dave

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Another vote for Stokkebyes, in particular the three flakes: Luxury Navy, Twist and Bullseye. Luxury Navy Flake is a good, honest tobacco tasting VaPer. It's also cheap: $17 for 8oz at smokingpipes.com.
I have a new, unvarnished tobacco tasting tobacco I really like: Weybridge by 4Noggins. $23.24 for 8oz and only available at 4noggins, because Rich blended it himself. It's a Burley/Perique/Virginia, with earthy, nutty flavors that you can tell are of high quality tobacco, and expertly blended. An all-day smoke, like Luxury Navy Flake.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Many of the listed are excellent, including the Stokkebye blends. I'd add C&D Three Friars, Haunted Bookshop, and Old Joe Kranzt to this list, too
I like to buy 1-2 ounces of a new blend in bulk to test it out myself. Then if I really like it I'll buy 4 or 8 ounces nest go around.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Some of my favorite blends available in bulk are:

-Stokkebye Navy Flake

-Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Navy Flake

-Rattray Red Rapparee, Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake (they aren't nearly as cheap as the other bulks, but still cheaper than by the tin)

-Lancer's Slices

-C&D Star of the East

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I really am enjoying my whole va leaf/ dark fired ky Newminster Superior Slices. The slices are about the diameter of quarter with no center, per se, but as if a rope had been made with two strands of each tobacco. They're sliced about 1/16" thick and two or three in a small cob yields quite a nice smoke. No fuss no muss...rub 'em up like they were boogers and drop em in...tap lightly and enjoy some sweet, smooth tobacco.

kozzman555

Lurker
Oct 21, 2014
Holy crap these look amamzing. I'm running out of room to write all these down. Some of these you guys have mentioned I have had sitting for a couple years after some friends bombed me after my last deployment. I can't wait to try them.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I've not been smoking a pipe for very long, and I swear, this stuff has scorched the crap outta' my tastebuds and the roof of my mouth, but I am hooked on Lane's "Crown Achievement." Latakia, Perique, Oriental, Virginia mix. Holy crap... It's great stuff.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
McClelland's 5125 Coyote Classic is close to Frog Morton Cellar... IMO

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Trailboss, you're right: I slowed it down a lot, and also let it air out a little, from the Ziploc in which it arrived, and it's spicy/sweet again. 8)

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
+1 for Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake & McClelland 5100

I'd also suggest Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake - inexpensive & terrific!

Status
Not open for further replies.