PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Who has the best navy flake? I have had McBarren Navy flake which I do like but after some age. I do tend to like tobaccos that aren't to to strong.any thoughts? What is your favorite Navy blend?

Thanks

danz

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
New Zealand
I like SG navy flake, the addition of a small amount of latakia is a nice touch.
The rum topping doesn't really smell like rum to me though.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I really like Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. It's a very good flake, and is available in bulk at a reasonable price. Hard to beat it IMHO.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I love macbarens the best so far, I also really like peter stokebye luxury navy flake, I have mcclelands navy flake on my kitchen table, havent tried it yet, Ill get back to you

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Thanks guys! I just smoked my last mabarrens flake. Maybe I'll try P.S.bulk. I like his other stuff. Like bullseyes flake.

SG I would also like to try but seems like it has gotten rather hard to find.

Many thanks!

Jul 15, 2011
I havent really put my hands into too many "navy" blends, but I will say that Cornell and Diehls Black Frigate is an amazing Navy blend. Latakia, stoved and bright Virginia, topped with rum and presented in Krumble Kake form. A word of warning though: It is a hefty tobacco, and it packs a nic punch, even for me, and I am big dude. If you are sensitive to the Vitamin N, be a little careful while puffing.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I've been on a bit of a Navy blends kick recently. The online tobacconist I use most often offers 5g sample packs which gives you a taster before committing to a full tin. Although not exactly a Navy Flake, Gawith Hoggarth Sweet Run Twist is well worth a try.
I'd certainly add a vote for Samuel Gawith Navy Flake, which is one of my favourite evening smokes and has a wonderful taste. You should get hold of a tin as soon as you can.
Finally (again it isn't 100% what you said you were looking for)I'd suggest trying Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls. It's a curly cut Virginia, Perique blend another blend that I always have a tin of on hand.
Hope you find something you really like :)

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I'd certainly add a vote for Samuel Gawith Navy Flake, which is one of my favourite evening smokes and has a wonderful taste. You should get hold of a tin as soon as you can.

SG, SG, SG, Dunhill. Navy flakes are super hit or miss for me. Also acquire 5-6 tins if ya can!

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Been curious to try SG Navy Flake. Virginia with a bit of Latakia sounds good. Thanks for all the feedback on this guys.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Navigator is my take on a navy flake type of blend. It might be a little on the stout side for you, but it's not much stronger than the MacBaren's, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Reading this very interesting post I am wondering: what is exactly the definition of the "Navy Flake"?

I was thinking that is a virginia based flake with rum topping.

If this is the case then I am not sure that McBarren's Navy Flake qualifies as a "Navy Flake". I am pretty sure there is no rum flavoring there, though it is a great tobbaco and one of my favourites.

Does this mean that there is a more inclusive definition of Navy Flake? or it is just a marketing name for MacBarren?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll add that Newminster #400 bulk is a good NF for the money.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Navigator is my take on a navy flake type of blend. It might be a little on the stout side for you, but it's not much stronger than the MacBaren's, so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Greg, thanks for your comment. You never need to be apologetic about promoting a blend, even if it is yours. I'm ordering a can of Navigator today.
Reading this very interesting post I am wondering: what is exactly the definition of the "Navy Flake"?

I was thinking that is a virginia based flake with rum topping.
LeadTungState, I think your definition would be generally accepted. But blenders create new things by tweaking this proportion, adding this ingredient, releasing pressure according to different schedules, etc.
I love SG Navy Flake even though - or because - it contains Latakina in addition to the Virginias. But it is still a condiment, and the blend remains existentially, a Navy Flake.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I like Erik-Stokkebye: 4th Generation 1931 Flake. It is a lot like MacBarens but slightly better in every way. It doesn't need as much aging like Macbarens either.

Status
Not open for further replies.