PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
So.....who does what to dry tobacco? I know there are lots of methods out there. My personal routine includes spreading thin layers on cookie sheets and putting them under a lamp.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Some times I load the pipe and don't smoke it until the next day.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I currently grab a couple blends from Tinder Box and put them in their own Mason jars. The first couple/three days I'll leave the lids off for an hour or so each day until it dries to a good smoke. Then, keep them sealed, blend each bowl how I want it to taste until I run out. Then repeat.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So much depends on where you live: relative humidity varies greatly and temperatures do, too. Your method sounds fine! The RH in my house is around 50% most of the time, so I can air dry any that needs it. Occasionally, I will use a microwave for a few seconds.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Nuke it. Put the tobacco on the plate and give it 10 seconds. Another 10 is fine if the blend is wet - especially flakes - but more than that and you'll cook off the oils. Wipe the plate and leave the door open afterwards to clear any smells that could get the memsahib on your case.
Andy

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I used to dry tobacco with the lamp method, but the only lamp I have is a energy saving lamp so it really doesn't dry too well. These days I actually prefer smoking slightly wet tobacco right out of the tin, just found they taste better that way.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I get more flavor with some tobaccos when they're wetter too. Compromise solution, suggested by someone here: dry some of the tobacco, and use it to top off the rest like kindling. Its heat ignites the rest better than direct flame.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
You can always use what peck uses:
apw-wyott-pd-1a-infrared-freestanding-heat-lamp-display-warmer-120v.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I am surprised (and a little disappointed) that some weisenheimer hasn't posted a picture of a tobacco barn yet.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I usually spread the baccy out on some kitchen paper and set it under a lamp. If its a moderately wet ribbon, usually a few minutes will do.

Thin flakes are left out overnight to air.

I just purchased some FVF for the first time. It'd been airing for nearly 24 hours when I cubed it and tried to smoke it but the flakes are so thick and so incredibly wet from the factory that the goddamn thing just wouldn't catch fire...

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I use a small fan usually overnight to dry out flakes. I live in a high humidity area.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I sprinkle a bowls worth into a small ceramic or olive wood bowl that I use just for drying me leaf. Anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours depending on how moist the tobacco is. :puffy:

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Last week I packed a pipe in the garage with CH and then got a call from work and forgot about it.
Last night I lite it up, it might be the best bowl I have ever had of anything.
Gonna have to start playing around with this drying idea myself...
Back when I use to chew, I would leave the pouch open on the truck dash for a day or so.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Hmm, so is it possible to over dry tobacco by letting it air out for too long?

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I'm a nuker as well, when needed. Like Andy said, 10 seconds will usually do it, let it sit for a couple minutes and you have a perfect moisture level.

Status
Not open for further replies.