Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Best McClelland Aro

(19 posts)
  1. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Listening to the podcast, I want to try a McClledund but want an Aro. Reccomendation for a great Aro?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm not much into aromatics, only keep one in the rotation at a time, and usually revert to some favorites of mine, none of which are McClelland make (unless you consider Frog Morton Cellar and Christmas Cheer aromatics, but in my view, these basically border on crossovers and the latter actually depends on the year of production as for how far it leans toward aro).

But here a link to a thread that should be helpful: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mcclellands-premium-aromatic

Town Topic appears to get a lot of positives.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mellow Mack, which is honey and pecans, is one of my favorites from McClelland's aromatics. I also enjoy their Tastemaster, which is a chocolate aro, and Townsman's Cavendish Blue, which is Maple. The Townsman is a good buy as well, though it only comes in 8 ounce bags. McClelland's Old Church was formerly being sold under the Ashton label, is a nice vanilla, but if you want a good Vanilla aromatic, I would suggest Lane 1Q.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Login to Send PM

I dislike most aromatics strongly, but the handful I like I tend to like a LOT. One of those I really enjoy is Captain Cool, which is one of McClelland's tinned aromatics. It's basically a ramped-up version of Captain Black with some mint added. I always try to keep several tins in the cellar.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never considered myself an aro guy. Tried Town Topic mentioned on another forum post. Ordered 3 more Tim's since. It's the only McC. aro I've tried, but it's my favorite aro atm.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

I found the best of show to be enjoyable

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am pretty much a dedicated aro smoker since i have not found any thing else i like so far but i have some Virginia coming in to try. I ordered some Chocolate Mint Bulk ill let you know how it smokes when it comes if you into that sort of flavor.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also i know its not McClelland but BH - Evening Stroll was really enjoyable for me maybe you should give it a try its different then other aros i think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also i found that if your an Aro Smoker tobaccoreviews.com is only really good for you to know whats in the blend, for the most part the reviewers are mostly more into other blends and less into the aros so your tastes may differ greatly from them. however they give you good information in regards to the characteristics of the blend in their reviews therefore its still worth it to read.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know this isn't a McClelland blend but you should definitely check out Villiger's Mid Day.

Also +10000 on Frog Morton Cellar as mentioned by rothnh

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for that link roth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm partial to Holiday Spirit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

One of those I really enjoy is Captain Cool, which is one of McClelland's tinned aromatics. It's basically a ramped-up version of Captain Black with some mint added

That sounds really good.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I remember a woman, what, must be 10 years ago now, who just loved that Captain Cool. She used to work for me when I was in Indianapolis years before that. I know this is useless information, but seeing Captain Cool made me think of her. She was something else.

Try it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

1928 is sold by Tinderbox, but made by McClelland. I generally don't like aros, but it is a great tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

pauljmjr

Login to Send PM

I very rarely smoke aromatics, but one I do keep on hand is McClelland's Old Church. Very nice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love me some McClelland Holiday Spirit but that's getting hard to find after Christmas.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Strictly only an aromatic smoker here. I've had a number of McClelland's Premium Aromatic line and I'd have to say Town Topic is the best in my opinion. It's the best blend of leaf and top dressing and it's the blend that the flavor comes out the best in. Definitely a close second would come either Best Of Show or Mellow Mack. Mellow Mack started as a honey forward blend but as the tin went on it seemed the pecan flavor got more pronounced and Best of Show is a nougat flavor that stayed pretty much the same throught the tin. Easy Street, an English walnut flavor, was pretty good but, not quite as good as the others.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McClelland Avenue TQ is really a nice vanilla aro, I know this is sacriledge but I kind of prefer it over 1q

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, sdcowboy, conlejm, andystewart, coalsmoke, northernneil, natibo, okiescout, jfox520, phil67, cosmicfolklore, greengrass, joshuaburgess, elpfeife