PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I was answering another pipe Forum thread on smoking on a cruise ship when it morphed into vacations that were very good and I remembered this one when I was in my 30s around Grand Island LA.workers night fishing off of Timbalier Island. My 2 buddies were used to expensive charter trips, I knew the area and convinced them to do a po boy trip. That afternoon we were cruising in a 24 ft open fisherman I spied a Spud barge, comeing alongside I hailed the Capt and asked him if he needed some beer, 2 six packs got us use of the engine room to sleep in until 1 am where we would scout the little rigs for red fish. It was nippy, we dumped rag boxes by the Diesel engines and listened to the hum of the engines. 1 AM came and we were off, the Capt and deckhand asked to go, climb aboard was our answer. The Capt told me of a rig that was leaning and barge after barge of shells were dumped to stop the leaning. That night the condition we encountered was a rare phorous glow, plankton that made the fish look like neon signs, the shells had made the rig alive with red fish. We fished till 4 AM, catching our limit and seeing a light show people rarely see. We put the boat on the trailer by an old bait shop and a young girl in a beat up truck was selling crabs, 10$ a dozen, my buddies tried to bargain her down to 5$ I shamed them as I knew the life of the fisherman was hard, she said they were trying to pay off the grocery bill at the little store. We bought crabs at 10$ a doz, before we left I went in the store and asked the owner about the young girl. He said she had just got married and was havering a hard time . I asked about her bill, it was a little over 200$, I gave him 300$ and told him to wipe her bill off . I made him tear it up, and give her credit for the rest. Going back to Baton Rouge I was at peace with myself as I knew how life slips you in the crack. Always wondered about the look on her face when she found out the bill was paid.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I like your stories and miss your dog. But do not think you should use the word Jew as a perjoritive. Thanks shel

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Damn Brad, I don't need to cut onions while drinking my coffee. Such a good story. You're such an example to us..... reminds me the stuff my dad did. Thank you.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
As a "Jew", I'm not fond of it either. I'm not offended, but it seems unnecessary. Otherwise, great story!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm not Jewish, but dislike the term as used above. Otherwise, great story.
From the title, I was wondering whether it might be the DT34, a small Dyson hand held vacuum, which we have and like!

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Brad.
Grew up on the gulf coast. I used to be able to hit a spot near the Houston Port where a shell line ran about 100 yeards past the second sand bar. Late night you would see the redfish tailing through the water. Always near a full moon during the winter. We would limit out and then start going after the specks that were creeping around. We also used to grab the boats and head to the buoys. We'd catch monster fish and the occasional gafftop. Used to hate when people would land them in the boat as they were the hardest things to get that nasty slime off the carpeting.
Thanks for the memories.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I apologize to all my Jewish friends, did not mean any disrespect, old ways are hard to shake and a little tidbit my Grandmother on fathers side said she thought we came from Belgium Jews.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Brad, I know you to be a great guy who wouldn't use racial epithets. I'm not only a Jew, (probably one of many on the forum,) but I'm also a Rabbi, probably the only one who hangs around here. I'm also a former member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, and I can tell you that such expressions are very, very wrong. Now that you know, I'm sure such an expression will never cross your lips again, and I know you'll be mighty quick to correct anyone else who does. Sometimes these careless little expressions slip out, and once we're educated, they never happen again. Brad, you're simply tops, and I have the highest regard for you.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The fear of words. They are really pushing it in the schools these days. Really messing up kid's minds! Just another reason to be offended or to fear what you say, all the time, everywhere you go. Sssshhhh. (whisper) 'don't use that word.'
I grew up in a time when everything under the sun had a slang name. It's called casual or familiar language. When it was comedy on TV for Archie Bunker to use slang words freely. Nothing was ever meant by it usually, and if it was, you KNEW. It was the INTENT, not the word that mattered. It was just colloquial language; people knew an insult to be an insult and a slang word just to be a slang word of casual language, and never the twixt were ever confused.
Then we invented 'hate speech', mainly as another way to divide people, and the funny thing is that protection from that said above is often used more often as a weapon to hurt others these days than the very speech we are supposedly protecting ourselves from.
So I never fear words as I've yet to meet one that could hurt me. Usually, it is the people behind them I fear.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Don't think that I don't respect what you guys are saying, because I do. Full disclosure, though: As a person who proudly carries a hefty dose of Polish ancestry, some of the funniest jokes I tell on a regular basis are my beloved Polack jokes. If it is offensive, I'll have to remember not to drop any here.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah... the Holocaust really put a damper on things. It's one thing to make a joke, but using the term as a perjoritive is quite different. It's an offensive antisemitic stereotype that has no place in society. Again, not a joke.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Was in the a Navy with a Mustang Chief Warrent Officer by the name of Woods. He was the Army in WWII, was at Dachau when it was liberated, he never forgot what he saw and I was his protector when he got drunk. Would tell me horrible things he saw. Do we concentrate on the words and not the deed, that was my feeling, never in a million years the people who know me would think I meant it a demeaning way, the other thread thin skinned is appro here. Not saying this lightly but the guys that have the most to hide are the ones who pile on the most. You know who you are. Look in the mirror. Nuff said I'm finished with this.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Again, don't think that I don't respect what you are saying, because I do. And "polack" is a pejorative. I just prefer to de-fang its offensive power; just one person's preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.