Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Best Ky/Va, Ky/Perique Blend Currently Available?

(31 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by diamondback
  • Latest reply from grumpyoltroll
  1. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Howdy y’all! Found a second to post, so...

I know this is subjective, but I’m on a DFK kick and am looking for some great blends to try.

MacB’s ODF, and GLP’s Jackknife and Cumberland are some blend I know and love. Any others I should put on my radar? Will mention I’m not a big fan of Lakeland.

Thanks!

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 3 months ago #
  2. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

PS: my thanks in advance! I don’t have much spare time for... probably end of summer (Cigar season). Construction contractors... I love ‘em. Bless their hears.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

Peterson Irish Flake for a dark KY/burley is pretty great

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

Savinelli Doblone D'oro is a good one.

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky - an amped-up ODF
    Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake - I prefer the Unscented
    Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye
    Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Irish X Rope
    GL Pease JackKnife Plug
    Peterson's Perfect Plug aka "3P's"
    Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 3 months ago #
  6. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D Speakeasy

Really nice red VAs and KY, plus a little bit of rum. Sweet and spicy, a little fruit and a touch of cedar.

GL Pease Sixpence

Similar to Speakeasy, but with Perique. Similar flavors, but more plummy, dark fruit here. Inspired by the original Three Nuns.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#1 on Dark Birds Eye

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Love HH Bold Kentucky. It's a real sipper. Strong and good.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I’m partial to Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. Some people think it has an artificial quality about it, and I sort of agree, but that’s actually why I like it so much. For me I get this mix of licorice and sweet baking spice flavors and it’s really damn good.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. bigtex

bigtex

Login to Send PM

I’m gonna throw C&D 5 O’clock Shadow in the hat as I have been enjoying it lately. Good luck on your quest!

Making Pipe Smoking Great Again!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  11. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

I've also been on a big DFK kick lately. +1 on everything Cossack Jack listed (except the 3P, which I haven't tried yet - now on the list). The GH Dark Flake unscented is especially fantastic, good nicotine dose, and I don't get any Lakeland essence from it at all (personally, I really like the stuff, but understand why you wouldn't). +1 also on the Orlik DSK. Like mtwaller, I actually like the DSK licorice; anyway, I don't notice it once it's in the bowl, just lovely spiced sweetness. I just ordered some tins of War Horse Plug and WH Ready Rubbed (on sale now at P&C) - they sound delicious, and judging from the reviews, they're quite DFK-forward.

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I’m about ready to pull the trigger on War Horse Green for the first time and I’m way too excited about it. Licorice + Plug + Nicotine will make me one happy camper. I hope. Or it could taste dreadful, who knows... but presumably +1 for all War Horse blends.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like ODF. Bold Kentucky is pure burley without the virginia sweetness present in ODF. Too much burley for me, but you might like it.
    PPP is Dark Fired + some empire virginias and a fruity plum like top note.
    Irish Flake is darker and stronger with a subtle top note of anis and something flowery, but it's very subtle. Dark Fired and dark, strong virginias dominate.
    1792 is a must try and Lakeland Dark is its unscented brother. Perhaps even better.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  14. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Thank you gentlemen!

I bought some HH DBK, Orlik DSK, and Jackknife plug. I’ve got some 5 O’clock that I’ve yet to try - I’d forgotten about that tin so thanks for mentioning it. I couldn’t find any G&H Dark Flake unscented nor 3P. I need to make a sweep through my local B&M.

Oh, then I saw today’s thread about potential online sales going away, and put in a massive order of close to 15 lbs of my favorite blends. My wife is going to go through the roof. Reckon what it’ll cost to get my roof fixed?

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoyed a tin of Russ Oullette's Fire Storm, a Va/Per/DF. If I wasn't such a slow smoker stacked so deep, I'd order more.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Thank you, mso489! I’ll try some of that.

A most happy and blessed Easter to everyone

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My recent roof was $12k...

+1 on the Sixpence

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  18. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

D'oblone D'oro from Sav as mentioned, is a really straight-between-the-eyes ky/va for sure, and if it's too rough around the edges, Club Blend from Mac Baren is a sort of sweeter cousin to it. I prefer Club, a friend of mine prefers the D'oblone.

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh and if you can get Scottish Cake from McConnell, it has both as well, I believe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Watch City Flake 558

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

+1 for Dark Birdseye and Orlik DSK. Both staples in my rotation.

GL Pease Navigator is supposed to be a sleeper KY blend, although I have yet to open my tin of it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I regularly smoke Sixpence, C&D Bluegrass, Jackknife Plug, Old Dark Fired, and sparingly smoke my small stash of Directors Cut. Im really finding these days that I love most blends that contain Dark Fired. Recently got some Dark Birdseye, I cant wait to try it out.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

KY tobaccos immediately became favorites for me, there is something about that barbeque-ish smell and taste that strike me as real raw old fashioned tobacco. I've smoked Cumberland and Bold Kentucky and look forward to try out Jackknife Plug, War Horse and others. Absolutely awesome.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

Revor Plug.

Chris

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hal o’ the Wynd

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I’m pretty sure I got a bad batch (2oz tin) of GLP Sixpence. Smoked a bowl a couple days ago.

I didn’t taste anything except some bready Virginia. I detected an extremely slight hint of booze (tin note only), and no real flavor other than what I suspect was from the Va. I’ve been ‘piping’ for a good seven years now, and I’m at least intermediate in sussing out the various flavors in a professional blend. I’m no Jim Inks, but I didn’t switch over from cigars yesterday.

I’d trade what’s left for a single pouch of Five Brothers. I’m speaking figuratively of course, but my tin of Sixpence is sawdust. Yes I lit it gently. Char light, true light, took slow sips and retrohaled, all that jazz. I’d loaded up a bowl into a MM CG pipe, as I always do with my first trial of a new blend. Smoked it through over the course of about 45 minutes. It burned faster than I’d expected given the thickness of the long strands of it that I teased out from a flake or so that I let dry for ~15 minutes. I’m not sure I would have smoked the entire bowl, but I kept slowing down, wondering how I was so far off the mark from what I read on TR about it. It can’t be so bad that it’s less tasty than my first home blend - lol - so I’ll give it another try from a new tin... someday perhaps.

Willing to bet it’s just a QC issue. In the interim, I’ll let it sit until next Fall and try it again.

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

testing/Al

Al

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

testing/Al2

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

pharmpiper

Login to Send PM

Long time lurker, motivated to join to comment on this one.

I’m pretty sure I got a bad batch (2oz tin) of GLP Sixpence. Smoked a bowl a couple days ago.

I didn’t taste anything except some bready Virginia. I detected an extremely slight hint of booze (tin note only), and no real flavor other than what I suspect was from the Va. I’ve been ‘piping’ for a good seven years now, and I’m at least intermediate in sussing out the various flavors in a professional blend. I’m no Jim Inks, but I didn’t switch over from cigars yesterday.

I’d trade what’s left for a single pouch of Five Brothers. I’m speaking figuratively of course, but my tin of Sixpence is sawdust. Yes I lit it gently. Char light, true light, took slow sips and retrohaled, all that jazz. I’d loaded up a bowl into a MM CG pipe, as I always do with my first trial of a new blend. Smoked it through over the course of about 45 minutes. It burned faster than I’d expected given the thickness of the long strands of it that I teased out from a flake or so that I let dry for ~15 minutes. I’m not sure I would have smoked the entire bowl, but I kept slowing down, wondering how I was so far off the mark from what I read on TR about it. It can’t be so bad that it’s less tasty than my first home blend - lol - so I’ll give it another try from a new tin... someday perhaps.

I'm right there with you! I picked up a tin of Sixpence about a month ago after reading so many stellar reviews and it was the biggest letdown I've had to date. Its two ounces of friggin nothing. No taste. No aroma. I've probably tried six or seven bowls various ways and no dice. I actually found it difficult to get going, and then burned hot as hell. Another bowl dried nicely and rubbed out fine. No flavor.

I thought it was me until I read the comment above. I kind of hope it is just an off batch, means there might be hope for getting a good tin someday.

Does anyone absolutely LOVE Sixpence and have several tins of experience with it? If so I'd be willing to send them my remaining tin to get their opinion on it.....just for my own peace of mind.

Alex

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I thought it was me until I read the comment above. I kind of hope it is just an off batch, means there might be hope for getting a good tin someday.

Thank you!

I was half expecting a barrage of “You don’t know what you’re doing!” posts.

I’m glad I’m not alone, but am sad that we didn’t get to taste a blend that seems very blissful for some. Surely it’s a QC issue. I bought my tin from SPC in March of this year I believe. If not March it was close. NOT a commentary on SPC by any stretch - I’ve spent quite a bit of money there and have always had exemplary service. If I get the chance or the inclination to buy another tin, it will probably be from them. Though to be honest I’m once bit, twice shy on Sixpence.

Welcome to the forum, Alex!

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. grumpyoltroll

grumpyoltroll

Login to Send PM

H&H El Nino. I have not had a bad one from the Marquee series yet but as a big fan of ODF this one really struck an accord with me. In fact I am going to load a pipe of it now.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mortonbriar