Best Ky/Va, Ky/Perique Blend Currently Available?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Howdy y’all! Found a second to post, so...
I know this is subjective, but I’m on a DFK kick and am looking for some great blends to try.
MacB’s ODF, and GLP’s Jackknife and Cumberland are some blend I know and love. Any others I should put on my radar? Will mention I’m not a big fan of Lakeland.
Thanks!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
PS: my thanks in advance! I don’t have much spare time for... probably end of summer (Cigar season). Construction contractors... I love ‘em. Bless their hears. ;-)

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky - an amped-up ODF

Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake - I prefer the Unscented

Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye

Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Irish X Rope

GL Pease JackKnife Plug

Peterson's Perfect Plug aka "3P's"

Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake

Reactions: F4RM3R

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
C&D Speakeasy
Really nice red VAs and KY, plus a little bit of rum. Sweet and spicy, a little fruit and a touch of cedar.
GL Pease Sixpence
Similar to Speakeasy, but with Perique. Similar flavors, but more plummy, dark fruit here. Inspired by the original Three Nuns.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m partial to Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. Some people think it has an artificial quality about it, and I sort of agree, but that’s actually why I like it so much. For me I get this mix of licorice and sweet baking spice flavors and it’s really damn good.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
I’m gonna throw C&D 5 O’clock Shadow in the hat as I have been enjoying it lately. Good luck on your quest!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've also been on a big DFK kick lately. +1 on everything Cossack Jack listed (except the 3P, which I haven't tried yet - now on the list). The GH Dark Flake unscented is especially fantastic, good nicotine dose, and I don't get any Lakeland essence from it at all (personally, I really like the stuff, but understand why you wouldn't). +1 also on the Orlik DSK. Like mtwaller, I actually like the DSK licorice; anyway, I don't notice it once it's in the bowl, just lovely spiced sweetness. I just ordered some tins of War Horse Plug and WH Ready Rubbed (on sale now at P&C) - they sound delicious, and judging from the reviews, they're quite DFK-forward.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m about ready to pull the trigger on War Horse Green for the first time and I’m way too excited about it. Licorice + Plug + Nicotine will make me one happy camper. I hope. Or it could taste dreadful, who knows... but presumably +1 for all War Horse blends.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I like ODF. Bold Kentucky is pure burley without the virginia sweetness present in ODF. Too much burley for me, but you might like it.

PPP is Dark Fired + some empire virginias and a fruity plum like top note.

Irish Flake is darker and stronger with a subtle top note of anis and something flowery, but it's very subtle. Dark Fired and dark, strong virginias dominate.

1792 is a must try and Lakeland Dark is its unscented brother. Perhaps even better.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Thank you gentlemen!
I bought some HH DBK, Orlik DSK, and Jackknife plug. I’ve got some 5 O’clock that I’ve yet to try - I’d forgotten about that tin so thanks for mentioning it. I couldn’t find any G&H Dark Flake unscented nor 3P. I need to make a sweep through my local B&M.
Oh, then I saw today’s thread about potential online sales going away, and put in a massive order of close to 15 lbs of my favorite blends. My wife is going to go through the roof. Reckon what it’ll cost to get my roof fixed?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed a tin of Russ Oullette's Fire Storm, a Va/Per/DF. If I wasn't such a slow smoker stacked so deep, I'd order more.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My recent roof was $12k...
+1 on the Sixpence
jay-roger.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
D'oblone D'oro from Sav as mentioned, is a really straight-between-the-eyes ky/va for sure, and if it's too rough around the edges, Club Blend from Mac Baren is a sort of sweeter cousin to it. I prefer Club, a friend of mine prefers the D'oblone.

Status
Not open for further replies.