PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
What is everybodies opinion on the best inexpensive pipe to buy new? Id love to find a good 20 dollar pipe haha, im in college and have no money. Any ideas would be helpful, also any specific brand of estate pipe that tends to sell low and smoke well?
*edit
I do actually have a decent pipe collection including some semi high end stuff like a peterson and a wiley among them, Im just looking for a few decent smokers to add into my rotation cause i am paranoid about smoking one pipe too often and id like a couple ,more good smokers

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Cobs have been my solution to the same problem, resting your favourites without buying a collection or in your case, another collection. On line, super cheap, last months or longer with a bit of care but cheap enough not to matter if you lose or break it. Oddly enough the cob has a certain romantic appeal to a lot of none pipe smokers.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Shoot for $20 you can grab a couple MM cobs and you can't go wrong with them.. I love my MM patriot!!! :puffy:

robert76

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
You might think about Mr. Brog pear woods. I bought three of them a few weeks ago for around $60 including shipping. So far I am very happy with the pipes.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Mr brog, corn cob, dr Grabow are all good. You can also find some good pipes for that price on ebay. I have even found a few petersons in that price e range.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Has anyone done the 3 pipes deal from P&C and can say if it was worth it or not?

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
As others have said, Dr. Grabow might be your best option (although $20 might not be enough to pick up any decent briar). If you're looking in the $25 to $35 range, than definitely go for a Dr. Grabow or a Gatlin-Burlier house pipe. You can find the Gatlin-Burlier on the Internet, and I've bought more than a dozen pipes from them over the years. A new one will set you back between $30 and $40, and some of those pipes actually outsmoke my more expensive briars from Dunhill, Sav, Stanwell, etc. And no, I'm not in any way affiliated with the shop -- I've just been a customer there for a long time.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
I tell you what can be found for not a great deal on Ebay and make fantastic pipes, Falcon. 8)

Interchangable Bowls are readily available, easy to maintain and tremendous cool smoking pipes. To give you an idea, I bought on for a chum recently on Ebay and I paid a whopping £1.62 for the pipe and 2 spare bowls!! :D

Worth hunting them down, ideal for the smoker on a budget, and the cheapest way of putting a 7 day set together that I have come across.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
As already said, and at the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse, Dr Grabow and MM Cobs are excellent smokers for the money.
Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I am one cheap SOB and I own more cobs and DG's than anything else.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I recently purchased my first Dr. Grabow and am giving it an audition.
But I also noticed that Cup o'Joes (one of our proud sponsors) is selling brand new Parkers for about $10 more than I paid for my Dr. Grabow. I ordered one this past weekend and when it comes, I plan on doing a comparison between the do.
Stay tuned.
(Yeah, I know, it doesn't seem like I answered your question, other than to show that there are low cost options if you look for them.)

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I would say to look for a good old Stanwell on eBay (that's been taken care of)

OR an old Savinelli Canadian. I've had good luck on estates from both of these brands.
BTW, you will not be able to beat the quality of smoke from an old and well-broken-in estate pipe, vs a new, cheap pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.