PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakeb9

Lurker
Jul 20, 2015
VIrginia
Question from a newbie. What is the best "drugstore" tobacco out there? Tried Paladin Black Cherry and Prince Albert Soft Vanilla. Any tips?

patrick

Lurker
Jul 24, 2015
I'm a newbie too, but I've tried a bunch of drugstore brands including, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half, Captain Black and Carter Hall.
Personally, I love Carter Hall. Your tastes might be different though, especially if you like aromatics. I don't care too much for flavored tobaccos myself.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I personally prefer Prince Al over Carter Hall, but I would hasten to add that "best drugstore tobacco" is the pipe smoking equivalent of "best fast food hamburger". The only real advantage is that they are readily available. You can get similar blends, of higher quality, at comparable prices, through a number of e-tailers. I repeat my standard advice for newcomers - smoke the best tobacco you can afford, in the best pipes you can afford.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd rather go with 'what's the worst drug store tobacco?' Of the name brands, for me it's Captain Black white. I have only had one pouch of it, and that was over a year ago and at the time it was better than the OHM bold I was using, and a stepping stone to find better tobacco and pipesmagazine forums. Yipee!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Carter Hall then Prince Albert as already noted, but for other great tub tobacco I'd recommend P&C Midtown series, and especially the only non-aromatic in the series Chestnut. It's the best tub tobacco at near the lowest price for those who want a non-aromatic that really is non-aro.

blakeb9

Lurker
Jul 20, 2015
VIrginia
Thank you everybody for their advice. My local grocery store sells Carter hall and i picked up a pouch for just under 4 bucks. Can't wait to try it! i will let you all know

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've been in the "damn, I have no tobacco" scenerio in the past and for me, hands down, it's Carter Hall. I'll more than likely never again get caught with the bare cupboard syndrome but I like CH well enough to occasionally buy it simply because I like it. It's a good "yard" smoke.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
Another vote for Carter Hall here. Sir Walter Raleigh and Half&Half are good too. All are a cool smoke and stay lit through the whole bowl for me.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I keep a pouch of Carter Hall and/or Prince Albert on my car bench. While I love the boutique blends, every once in a while I get a hankering for a plain, honest smoke that can't be fullfilled except by an American Codger blend.
Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.