PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Hey members,
What is in your opinion the best deal for tobacco right now? Either cheap/sale tin or bulk price or under rated tobacco at a good price? I would really like to start a cellar other than drug store blends and my ounce of stonehaven, but my cash flow is very minimal. But I figure buy a little here and there maybe when I can and soon I could have a decent start. Thus I turn to all of you to help point me in a direction away from my OTC pouches. Thanks everyone

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I wouldn't recommend buying tobacco strickly based on price. A inexpensive tobacco that you don't like is useless. Make sure you like the blend before you start cellaring too deeply.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
By far the most economic route is to buy in bulk/loose. There are plenty of excellent bulk blends from Cornell & Diehl, McClelland, Hearth & Home, Samuel Gawith, etc. that are widely available and only a few dollars per ounce without sacrificing quality. You could build an excellent cellar with the plethora of bulk blends from them. Honestly it's hard for me to justify ever buying tins anymore.
Since you mentioned pouches though, I think the pouches with best ratio of quality to price are the Missouri Meerschaum blends, which were blended by Russ Ouellette but are pretty darn cheap.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
That's the other problem..other than the sample of stonehaven and sample of penzance I've only every smoked captain black and borkum riff.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Many of the site sponsors offer sample packs of various blends and styles. I would highly recommend starting some where like that.

Jun 4, 2014
In general bulk blends are cheaper then tinned blends. On most of the sponsor sites you can sign up for email alerts that will let you know when they are having sales. Right now Smokingpipes.com has a sale on Lane Limited bulk blends and MacBaren bulk blends. PipesandCigars.com has a build your own bulk sampler on special.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I really don't think you want to start cellaring, in any large quantity, tobaccos you have never smoked. Figure out what you like and live with them for a while - your tastes WILL change over time. I would suggest you focus on bulk blends 1 oz or so at a time until you get a feel for what you like. Then you can start socking away those blends away as you have the funds.
Inexpensive bulks are out there from many excellent blenders - 4Noggins, Peter Stokkebye, Dunhill, C & D, McClelland, Hearth & Home, Samuel Gawith and so on.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
All kidding aside: you got good advice here. Find what you like, identify what type of blend and flavor it has, and find matches in the bulk section. If you like something relatively simple, considering ordering generic blending tobaccos and making your own. It's worth an order to buy a few general types and then one to get some 1oz samples of bulk blends. It will take time but it will be worth it. Unless you stick to OTCs, this is not a simple habit, unlike just buying a favorite cigarette brand. Best of luck!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
..other than the sample of stonehaven and sample of penzance I've only every smoked captain black and borkum riff.
Of those ... which is your favorite so far?
+1 to the bulks and samplers until you know what you like ... another good value in bulks is Newminster #400 and #403

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Plethora of good advice here.
First question... Do you like Captain Black and Borkum Riff?
If the answer to that question is yes, then you should identify bulks (most likely Lane) that are similar. You can stock up on those for a VERY reasonable price, and build yourself a little cellar. Once you are comfortable that you have a bit of tobacco stashed away, I would proceed with what others have suggested. Sample, sample, sample. Identify what strikes your fancy, and then buy more of it.
If the idea is to start stocking for the apocalypse, start stocking what you like. If that's aros, then so be it.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Out of penzance and stonehaven..it's really close but it's going to be different now cause the pipes I had were stolen and now I have a stanwell from a generous forum member and a knockoff cob. I enjoy captain more than borkum. I don't think I'm against Aros but I enjoyed the "real" tobacco a lot more!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I think pipes and cigars still have the frog Morton sampler that's a solid choice to get a touch of a Balkan and an intro to an English blend.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree with the suggestions above, especially the samplers. Now I know I'll probably take some heat for this suggestion, but if you like mild aromatics, go to Pipes and Cigars.com and look under pipe tobaccos by brand. Find Smokers Pride Black Cavendish, and read the customer reviews on it. Mind you I've never smoked it, but most of the reviews are quite positive, and it's only $13.99 for 12 oz. (3/4 lb.) Get a dozen 8 or 16 oz. mason jars for about $8 from Walmart or such, and pack the tobacco in them and start your cellar for very cheap. Yeah, you might get tired of it at some point, but you can always come back to it later, and see if you still like it. If not save it for friends who want to try pipe smoking. Just keep reading here on the forum for all kinds of ideas and information, and remember to try and enjoy the experiences.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I do enjoy the hobby I just want to start smoking like a grown up haha. Thank you all for the advice! I have to order through other sights as p&c doesn't ship to me.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Do you have a B&M near you? One of the shops near me will let you sample a pipeful for free if you bring in your pipe. Thats how I got hooked on latakia and orientals (it was Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme).

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Orlik Golden Sliced is hard to pass at under $7/tin. Supposed to cellar well too. Of course not everyone likes it!

Status
Not open for further replies.