Best Dark Fired Kentucky/Non Aromatic Burley Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I'm not sure I have ever tried a blend that had Dark Fired Kentucky in it, or if I did I was so new to pipe smoking that I couldnt really appreciate the flavor. Im putting together a TAD attack and want to try some blends that are heavy in Dark Fired Kentucky, or just generally some Burley blends that arent aromatic. I have a tin of Classic Burley Kake in the cellar, and I have heard good things about G&H Dark Birdseye. Anything else I should get? Any and all input is appreciated!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Dark Birdseye is a good baccy, but, make sure you are into heavy nic, as this is loaded. I like it, but, I am a nic freak. It burns very rapidly and a large bowl only lasts about 15-20 minutes

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am currently exploring the Hearth and Home burleys - I purchased a sampler. Old Companion is a burley/virginia mix, a pleasant all day sort of thing. Beverwyck has got virginias, latakia, and a touch of perique in there with the burley in a cube cut. It's pretty tasty.

Haven't explored dark fired Kentucky and don't intend to, since I am a certified nic wuss. :P

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
G.L. Pease Jacknife Plug fits your description and man is it good :puffpipe:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
The new MacBaren "Old Dark Fired" is probably the best dark fired kentucky blend I've ever tried. Its really full bodied (and strong) but manages to balance everything very well.

Cant recommend it enough !

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I enjoy Orlick Dark Strong Kentucky but it is impossible to find. It is being sold under the Peter Heinrichs label as Special Selection Dark Strong Flake and in my opinion it is the exact same blend. It can be had at many on line stores, here is one example.
http://pipesandcigars.com/pehepito.html
Another great Burley is Solani Aged Burley Flake.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
For me, it's Gawith & Hoggarth Kendal's Kentucky.
Packs a punch though, so beware
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4010
PS: I may have misread the original question. Were you looking for a blend with Dark fired Kentucky ? Or want to try straight up ? The Kendal Kentucky would fit the latter category, Dark Birdseye the former.

Jul 15, 2011
Sounds like Solani Burley Flake it is! Ill include a tin of it with my next order. Looks a little pricey but what the hell. Also, thanks pawpaw for the Cumberland recommendation. I love Mr. Peases other blends so I'll probably look this up too.
PS: I may have misread the original question. Were you looking for a blend with Dark fired Kentucky ? Or want to try straight up ? The Kendal Kentucky would fit the latter category, Dark Birdseye the former.
Mick, I just want to try something with Dark Fired Kentucky or Burley based that is non aromatic. I was always led to believe that Dark Fired Kentucky is either a form of Burley or a cousin of Burley, something very similar in taste and strength at least.
Also, I was looking around at the Hearth and Home blend Capitol Stairs. Anyone tried this yet? Sounds intriguing.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Hmm.. interesting question that perhaps Mr. Pease can jump on as well.
I think all Kentucky is indeed Burley, but not all Burley is Kentucky. I believe Kentucky is dried the dark variety of the Burley tobacco strain that then gets dried over smokey fires, kinda like Latakia. There's also white Burley which is air dried. I'm not sure where only the state of Kentucky is the producer of the dark-fired Burley that bears the same name. Russ wrote a good article about Burley a while back
Personally I know I have both Burleys and Kentucky blends and the Kentucky seem to have a stronger more woody, smoky flavor than Burleys that can be quite mild. Most of the Kentucky blends I have also seem to carry a bigger whallop in the vitamin N department.
If you're looking for a good Burley, I would recommend any of the 4 Burley Flakes by C&D. I especially like Burley Flake #3.
Never tried the Solani blends, but hear a lot of good about them.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
GLP Barbary Coast & Boswell's Premium Burley are both very good as well :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
OK, so here is my TAD order that I put together:
Cornell and Diehl Montford Point Marine

Cornell and Diehl Safe Harbor Flake

Cornell and Diehl Easy Times

NYPC Hells Kitchen

H&H LJ Heart Burley

Solani Aged Burley Flake
Thanks you guys for your kind suggestions! You were a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.