Pipes Magazine » Food & Drink - Restaurants and at Home - Recipes Too

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Best Crockpot Dish

(28 posts)
  1. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Came home from work and put a big pork roast in my crockpot covered in sauerkraut.

Already looking forward to dinner tomorrow night.

Then, a nice pipe!

Anyone else have any ideas on what to cook in a crockpot?

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will put a mix of fresh peppers and rehydrated peppers from my garden in the processor and work it till I have several cups of liquified peppers. Brown a pork butt in the cast iron skillet. Then put the butt in there with the peppers, a chopped onion, and a dash of cumin. Let it cook all day on low. The pork will just fall apart, and you can serve it over nachos with some cheese or as burritos.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a crockpot... no idea how to use it If it wasn't for the microwave, I'd starve.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  4. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pinto beans, ham hock, cover with an inch or so of water. Cook low all day. Then side dishes, fried potatoes, cornbread and salad.

Also beef stew regular or Asian style. Both start with beef shank. Asian style I use daikon radish instead of potatoes. A hunk of kombu ( dried seaweed) mirin,soy sauce, fresh ginger. Serve with rice and kimchi. Ox tails make a fantastic stew.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Venison bbq was pretty good iv only tried with hind quarter put in on low with some bbq sauce and garlic let cook all day while at work ended up nice and tender shredded and made sandwiches.

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my Mississippi roast. 1 big beef chuck roast placed in the bottom, then topped with 1 pack of Ranch seasoning, 1 pack of aus jus sauce packet, 1 stick of butter and a good handful of pepperoncini peppers. Crank up for about 8 hours and it's the best damn pot roast I ever had.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Khash

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do a pork butt with apple cider vinegar, non fructose ketchup, brown sugar for 8 hours. I pull it out, shred and remove the fat chunks if any, and put it back into the sauce.Served on kaiser bun with a thick/chunky almost dry coleslaw on top.
    Tasty.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone else have any ideas on what to cook in a crockpot?

Well... tobacco of course!
    I pack several mason jars with finely shredded tobacco (to which is added salt and water). I cook at 185F for 8 hours, remove and add flavorings (such as wintergreen, orange or apple). Makes the best tasting dip.

The cooking kills the enzymes/bacteria responsible for the formation of TSNAs.

So you guys are saying you can put other things besides tobacco in a crock pot?

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I switched from a Crock Pot to an Instant Pot 2 years ago, but the theory is the same. We use it all the time.

One of my favorite recipes is also one of the easiest to make

Chicken and Brown Rice

Ingredients

1 medium – onion
    3 clove – garlic
    2 cup – carrots, baby
    2 cup – mushrooms, brown, Italian, or Crimini
    2 cup – brown rice, raw
    1 tablespoon – olive oil
    2 1/4 cup – chicken broth, low-sodium
    2 pound – chicken thigh, boneless, skinless
    1/8 teaspoon – salt
    1/8 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
    10 ounce – soup, cream of chicken, canned, condensed

2 tablespoon – Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon – thyme, fresh

Directions

First "saute" chicken. While it heats, dice onion, mince garlic, and chop veggies. Rinse and drain rice. add oil to pot and saute onions for 3 minutes. Mix veggies, garlic, rice, and broth into the pot. Place chicken on top, salt and pepper, then cover with cream of chicken soup and Worchestershire sauce. Place 8-10 small sprigs of thyme on top. NOTE: chicken breasts also work well, just make sure to cut them in half so they're not too thick.
    Seal the Pot, Slow cook on high 1 hour. Once the pot is done cooking, either let it sit for 15-20 minutes to naturally release pressure. Remove thyme sprigs (keeping leaves when possible). Stir pot to shred chicken and mix in any extra liquid. Serve warm.

Neal
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jitter, I almost posted that you would have the best crock pot recipe, but I didn't want to throw you under the bus, ha ha.

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to make Barbacoa in the crock pot. You can find great recipes on Pintrest.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

Mississippi Pot Roast is lights out and easy.
    Brown Largest Beef Chuck roast that will fit into you crock pot.
    Add:
    1 packet Ranch dressing
    1 packet Au Jus
    1/4 cup butter
    5-6 pepperoncini's
    Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve on top of mashed potatoes or some other starch.
    The next day is even better for tacos or burritos.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

My wife does a Chuck Roast with one packet of brown gravy and one packet of ranch (the powder) with a cup of water. Simmer on low for 8 hours or so then add potatoes and carrots for the last hour. Good stuff.

We too switched to instapot at Christmas and I think the time cut down to an hour for the meat and 10 minutes for the veggies.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Dr. Pepper Chipotle Pork Roast". Basically it's pork roast, Dr. Pepper, Chipotle peppers, onions and brown sugar. Recipes can be found online. I love it shredded on Hawaiian rolls.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We always cook a corned beef with new potatoes and cabbage (red or green) for St. Patricks day. We also do this throughout the year as it's one of our favorite crock pot recipes. Leftover corned beef is great for sandwiches on rye like a Rueben sandwich! Crap, now I'm hungry...

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  17. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ruebens....the best.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beans and smoked ham hocks, with a side of fresh out of the oven cornbread; nothing beats it on a cold winter's day.

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Calico Beans

- 3 or 4 cans of a variety of beans (undrained) I find in the pantry - I like at least one can of butter beans, kidney beans and 1 large can of any baked beans, but really it doesn't matter.
    - 1 pound of browned hamburger
    - 3 stalks of chopped celery and 1 large chopped onion sauteed in the hamburger drippings
    - 1 cup brown sugar
    - 1/2 cup ketchup
    - 1/4 cup mustard
    - 1 Tbls vinegar
    - 1 pound cut up bacon (rendered/crispy)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for a few hours.

Tim
    Posted 5 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

silverback

Login to Send PM

Two chopped onions on the bottom of the crock, pour in a 20 oz. bottle of root beer. Slather a pork loin with your favorite mustard. I don’t go to heavy because too much mustard is hard to come back from. Put the loin in the crock and throw some dark brown sugar on it. Low for 6-8 and you’re good. Take the loin out when cooked through, pull it apart with a couple forks and put it back in. Mix it up and serve on some nice buns. Cole slaw is a plus.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Slow cookers are usually pretty forgiving if you like the ingredients in the first place. Don't add much liquid unless you want soup or stew. Don't open it while it cooks, not even to mix in the spice; all that goes in at once.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

aggghhh! I've just had to go out and get some corned silver side for tomorrow night because of this thread.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We always cook a corned beef with new potatoes and cabbage (red or green) for St. Patricks day.
    Or any day!!! ...

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  24. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the pressure cooker camp myself, goulash, chili, etc. I've wondered about the whole crock pot thing though.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Earlier this week I made a crockpot full of bean soup. When I got home hours later, my wife said that it didn't taste as good as normal. She forgot to add the tomatoes, spices and other ingredients during the last hour of cooking.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good God, could we please close this thread. I’m freakin starving now...

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's one thing about a slow cooker, you have to plan ahead. For quick meals, you have to throw it in the skillet. I like the illusion, with a slow cooker, that someone has been at home fixing the meal. Harking back to one comic episode ... do remember to plug in the slow cooker. Yeah, we did that, but years ago.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

There's a lot of great recipes here my mouth is watering. We usually make a pot roast in ours

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pappymac, shayde, pipingfool, gandalfspipe, gatorlope, jaytex969, husky, cshubhra, mawp, gerryp, verporchting, alaskanpiper, dorsetpiper