PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

changojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2010
Hello !!! with Christmas around the corner. in my wish list i have a Churchwarden. so before i start my quest on ebay, cup o joes , or pipe and cigars i would love to here your opinion. what brand or make of Churchwarden pipes is your favorite???

cheers!!!

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I am anxious to hear what people say as I too have been wanting a churchwarden pipe. I have been debating sending off the bowl of one of my smaller pipes to get fitted with a churchwarden stem. Not to hijack this thread but in answering Changojoe's question can you guys also discuss if this is a viable alternative to buying a whole new churchwarden? I just received a smaller pipe for free from a fried on another forum and think it would make for a great churchwarden.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I only have 1 churchwarden, it's a Peterson and it smokes great. I can't comment if this is the best since this is my only churchwarden lol. but I dont think you'll go wrong with a peterson nice cool smoke =D

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Both Peterson and Savinelli are safe bets.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/mlaug/album/picture/1280
I bought this pipe early on in my collecting career. Its a great smoker. Its a good "read a book and smoke a pipe" solution.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I like my Pete's but another good one to check out is Johs Churchwardens. I like them because they have normal sized bowls, but smoke great as well. You can't go wrong with either one though. My Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson is also a good smoker.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I have a Savinelli 401 churchwarden. I like it as it does cool the smoke, but I think I may need to learn how to pack it since it does gurgle no matter how much I let the blend dry. I don't think this is indicative of the pipe or the manufacturer, I just think I need more practice packing it and learning its ways.
-Jason

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I know my wifey got me a churchwarden from christmas off E-bay for 29.95 buy it now. I love the fact she thought of me, but man o man I am scared as to what she got. At least she is feeding my habit, now I just need to teach her what the habit likes to eat.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
"Best" anything is far too subjective for anything but personal opinions. I am fond of churchwardens myself, and do have a couple of them, including one meerschaum. Go with someone who is known for producing good quality pipes and you should do just fine.
I am rather fond of my Comoy's Comet, but it may be a bit to non-traditional in shape for many pipe smokers.
comet.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When I was a wee lad, I really wanted a Dunhill Churchwarden. Way back then that (to me) was the epitome of the pipe-maker's art.

Today I have four. Brebbia Lectura, Chacom, and a Wilmer Lightweight. All three basket pipes circa $20, plus $20 each for churchwarden stems. The smallest the wilmer most resembles the small bowled Dunhill I so lusted after. It is my favorite of the briars.

And, my latest acquisition MM Churchwarden, a surprisingly good smoking pipe.

Here are the briars... ignore the souvenier indian pipe.
I guess my point is... you can spend $400 for a Dunhill, or $40 for a great little pipe.

It's the one that tickles your fancy, that is the best one for you.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I like my Stanwell HCA. And since it has two stems it can either be a calabash or a churchwarden depending on my mood.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have several and each serves it's purpose .My Town Crier has about a 7/8 bowl and is great for geezer burleys. all the way down to a little Regalia that is about 1/2 inch and an excellent flake pipe. It all depends on what you plan to smoke in the pipe.

changojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2010
wow!!! you guys sure go the extra mile with all the good advise and experience.

thanks !!!

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Hey I just found this churchwarden forum today. Its quite interesting to read what everyone has to say about these cool smoking pipes. I really enjoy learning more pipe stuff on this great site. I finally ordered myself one today, a Savinelli Rusticated 601 Churchwarden. Can't wait to get it !

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have a savinelli churchwarden as well.. Great smoker and looks great as well... But, I do love Luna Pipes when it comes to this style.. Mcqueen makes good lookin stuff but only hear bad things about their customer service.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
If you've ever been interested in a meerschaum, getting a Churchwarden version may be a good idea. It's important not to handle the bowl of a meerschaum during the initial smokes, so having a Churchwarden will give you enough stem to get the job done. Incidentally, both the meerschaum and Churchwarden pipe have their origin in the Turkish tobacco pipe culture, so why not combine the two? My Sevket is a Churchwarden and I love it!
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.