PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Hello all, I was just wondering what the best/highest quality cherry tobacco is. I have a lot of friends and family that say they love the smell of a cherry aromatic. I want to get one that has the good cherry room note without wasting my time with a tongue biting aro. Let me know what you think.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Lane's TK-6 was one I (sort of) enjoyed. I did not like their Very Cherry.
Mac Baren makes a couple Cherry blends, and they usually do a good job all around.
C&D have maybe one of the largest selections of aromatics -- several different types of Cherry blends listed. Can't comment on any, however. Sorry.
Pipeworks & Wilke make some of the best aromatics, but you'll pay for them. I smoked a bowl or two of their cherry blend (I believe it was Cherry Cavendish) several years ago. If I were into cherry blends, that is the blend I would smoke. $54/lb for their Cherry Cavendish (I just checked). Almost twice the price of other aros, but it is good stuff. Twice as good? Only you can be the judge of that.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
This is the absolute best Cherry I ever, ever smoked. Wonderful aroma, taste, with tobacco taste. Unfortunately it sent my wife into an asthma attack. Can't smoke the pipe that contained it around her.

But it is excellent.

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/ratered10tin.html

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I will 2nd TK-6 it is a good one

Tewksbury Hobbits Weed is another.

For a reasonably inexpensive Cherry I did just purchase a bag of Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish and was surprised at how good it is.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I'm also trying to find a cherry blend I really like, PipesandCigars has a sampler pack that I ordered and am trying out.
Maraschino's Revenge Bulk Cherry Pipe Tobacco Sampler

It contains 2oz each of:

*Peter Stokkebye Cherry Bon-Bon

*Lane Limited Very Cherry

*Altadis Maraschino

*Altadis Cherry Cavendish

*Altadis Black Cherry

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Tweksbury also has a Real Cherry that has at least more cherry smell than Hobbits Weed. I prefer Hobbits Weed between the two. Gawith & Hoggarth has a Black Cherry twist.
Just send a PM if you want to try a sample of each before you go out and buy any.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Boswell's "Bear Blend" is pretty darn good in a cherry-caramel way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some would say best and cherry don't go together in the same sentence about aromatic pipe tobacco, but

people keep asking about it on Forums, and from the array of cherry aromatic blends, a whole army of

happy pipe smokers are buying it, so how bad can it be? I tried the Lane's Very Cherry, and didn't smoke

it in rotation, but finished off a small bag of bulk tobacco, so I have to plead guilty to being a member of

the army I just mentioned. My criteria is, the cherry should provide an accent but the tobacco should take

the spotlight. Lanes does that with its blend. Probably others too. A few of the over-the-counter pouch

brands pretty well kick you in the shins with the cherry, so I avoid those. A footnote: I think you should

accomodate your family and friends on room note, sometimes. Smoke outside or in a designated area when

you must, to smoke what tastes better but displeases others with room note. Altadis recently brought out

a blend call "Casanova" that has what they say is an alluring room note. Hmmm. A similar blend brought

out at the same time, with a side note of rum is called "Queen Anne's Revenge." Think about that.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
A family friend who I discovered was a pipe smoker allowed me to try some of his "Personal Reserve" where he blended a high quality Virginia with a cherry blend and topped the combination with some scotch before aging it for four years. It was wonderful and I agree mso, the cherry should be a condiment flavor. That being said I loved the hint of cherry so looking for some to make my own blend.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I just ordered CAO's cherrybomb as I had heard some good things about it - and I'm not really a cherry smoker so I'll let you know:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cao/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=56043

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
A friend of mine and I swapped around some samplers to each other and the Pipeworks & Wilke Cherry Cavendish was part of the sampling. Gotta say it really was nice. Not too wet, tobacco flavor came thru with a nice cherry undertone to it.
Way better than my Grandfather's Middleton's Cherry Blend....

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
my standard cherry is G&H Top Black Cherry but the new Drew Estate Heirloom Cherry may be replacing it or at least getting equal space.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pylorns, I hope your experience with Cherry Bomb is better than mine. I found it to have a very metallic finish which was very off putting to my tastes.
I am not a big aromatic smoker but when I did dabble in them, I found that Boswell's Pennsylvania Dutch Treat to have some nice Cherry flavors and all my kids loved the room note. I also did not get any type of metallic flavors from it.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I can't say there is one that wows me over the other. A couple I liked that have not been mentioned are 4Noggins Catamount, Newminster No. 3 Very Cherry and Samuel Gawith Celtic Talisman.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
The first tobacco I ever tried was Captain Black Cherry and it was so bad I could only smoke about 1/4 bowl and threw the rest of the pouch in the trash. The only other ones I've tried are Middleton's Cherry (bit like a rabid dog), Boswell's Pennsylvania Dutch Treat (tasty with a great room note but a bit goopy at the end of the bowl), and Peter Stokkebye's Cherry which I enjoyed and am considering getting more.

Status
Not open for further replies.