PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
This is somewhat a dual topic.
1. Last night I had a dream that I ordered an Oriental blend and was smoking it. It was amazing. I know that when I actually taste an oriental, it won't taste like it did in my dream, but now I have to buy an oriental blend. I'm curious as to whether any of you have had similar experiences.
2. So what is a decent bulk oriental? You guys have been extremely helpful so far with all my questions. I am thinking C&D Oriental Silk looks like a good option. I'm not necessarily opposed to latakia being in the blend--I like it--but it tends to dominate blends so much, that I'd almost prefer it not be there, or be there minimally, so I could get a taste of the quintessential oriental type tobacco without it just coming off like another English blend.
I'd prefer bulk, but if there is a tinned blend that is unanimously better, I could be convinced. Pricing isn't hugely different for just ordering a small amount on my next order.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This thread is delicious... I love the indefinable quality of Orientals, but am pretty much a Burley smoker by necessity.
Maybe I'll salve my soul with some Presbyterian Mixture, even though I can barely tell a Presbyterian from an Orthodox Jew (some righteous people, I tell you!).

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Presbyterian & skiff mixture for me, are head & shoulders above the rest. Both are on the milder side of a medium strength smoke, but both delicious.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread. I'm trying to figure out the use of oriental and Turkish tobaccos in blends and there's a lot to figure. I noted down some of the blends mentioned here. Others I've noted, though not yet tried, are C&D Super Bulkan, McClelland 2030 No. 1 Grade Bulkan, and Lanes Ltd. BS-005 (Turkish, Va., Lat). Can't yet recommend any of this, but it is in the same ball park. I have tried and enjoyed PC Russ O.'s recent experimental Balkan M61 which may later be issued as a regular offering, if slightly changed. If someone knows of a Va./Oriental/Turkish with no Lat or Per, that has at least medium strength, I'd be interested to know about that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If someone knows of a Va./Oriental/Turkish with no Lat or Per, that has at least medium strength, I'd be interested to know about that.
You might be on your own with that. But:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=114409

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=79412

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=135020
You could make a lot with those.
From here as reported here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'metal, I think you have something there. These aren't expensive, and with one or two ounces, depending on proportions of each, I might put something together. I think there may be an oriental blending tobacco too. Also, these are good and strong, which I think is useful. I could always thin it out with something, but maybe not. I suspect blenders have tried this, so it may be difficult to work it together, but it would be engaging to try.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"If someone knows of a Va./Oriental/Turkish with no Lat or Per, that has at least medium strength, I'd be interested to know about that."
McClelland No. 24

Pipestud says it's medium power level, at least that for me. One of, if not my favorite right now.
McClelland - No. 24 (Matured Virginias)
An unusual form of Flake tobacco, its deep chestnut color results from the extended aging of full flavored Old and Middle Belt leaf very lightly seasoned with Drama. A smooth, robust tobacco good anytime for those who prefer the darker Virginia flavor. Is is especially well suited for outdoor smoking.
Brand McClelland

Blended By McClelland Tobacco Company

Blend Type Virginia Based

Contents Oriental/Turkish, Virginia

Flavoring None

Cut Flake

Packaging 50g Tin, 100g Tin

Country US

Production Currently available

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Awesome suggestions. I'm excited to try these. The Match BSOSM looks like a really intriguing option.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I'd recommend McClelland # 2045 is an Oriental forward with a touch of latakia. Somewhat on the sweet side with a pleasant room note.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Match BSOSM and the McClelland #2045 Oriental Mixture, though I feel certain I'll be revisiting this thread in the future.
I'm still early enough in the pipe journey that I'm less concerned with finding the perfect blend and sticking with it, and more concerned with trying every different blend imaginable. Maybe a few years down the road I'll have figured out what I like and can stick with that, but for now, exploration is the goal! "Go West, young man!" or in this case, "Go East!"
By the way, do we more typically post informal-type reviews of tobacco here, or in the tobacco reviews forum? I want to post in the appropriate section, but as a relatively inexperienced pipe smoker, my casual observations regarding a tobacco may not quite qualify as a "review" with a big R.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
mso,
GLP Pease Embarcadero is red va and Izmir. Not bulk, obviously. I have a tin but haven't tried it yet, so I can't speak to its strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.