PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Just curious, is there a certain depth, width, shape of a bowl that's best for latakia? Should it be deep and narrow, shallow and wide, conical or not conical?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just from trial and error, a fairly deep, cylindrical billiard about does it for me, for Latakia. If it is a particularly

complex blend, a pot, author, or prince might be warranted, but for most, a Group 4 or 5 billiard is the ticket.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Depends on the blend, but really complex lat blends deserve a deep, wide bowl. I have a pipe that has a chamber diameter of one inch, and a depth of almost 2 inches, with a slight taper. It is dedicated to Esoterica Penzance and Pembroke, and the flavors are rich and varied in that pipe.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I agree with rigmedic1. Deep and wide for lat, and i find the opposite for VA's.

Jan 8, 2013
My Nording signature has a pretty wide conical chamber. I can stick my index finger in there covering half of second knuckle and wiggle it around quite a bit. Now that I think of it, I don't believe I've ever had a less than enjoyable smoke out of that one with Black House or Wise Fox. Thanks everyone, your answers confirmed it well enough for me. As of this day, it is now my lat bomber. :)
Roth... it does indeed smoke aros quite well too.... crap... now what do I do? lol!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Any bowl you can fit it in! Seriously though, I prefer about a group 3 - 4 myself. Not too deep, for the most part, though occasionally I do enjoy an extra long bowl. 1 hour max, anything longer and I get tired.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I might also add, I have two pots dedicated to Lats, a Peterson "606" and a 1960's Charatan "348DC". The Pete is much newer and has a bore of about 7/8in diameter, the Charatan is 1"+! The Pete out smokes the Charatan by a good bit. That being said, I do agree that the complexities of English/Balkans comes through a little better with wider bowls, but not enough for it to be THAT big of a deal for myself. I enjoy large bowls occasionally, but I usually don't have that kind of time to really enjoy one. I usually end up puffing my way through the last 1/3 of the bow, which is not very enjoyable.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
For me, bowl width is critical, the wider the better, For depth I don't really discriminate, but do tend toward deeper than pot sized for most of my latakia blends. That said one of my best latakia smokers is a GBD meerschaum Rhodesian that is fairly shallow, and it makes Lancer's Slices sing.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I have a Brebbia Sabbiata Bent Billiard (700) that smokes Lat blends very well. It has a wide open deep bowl and the flavor really comes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.