PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvs68

Lurker
Mar 15, 2015
Hey gang,
I've made the transition to flake and it's a wonderful thing. I opened a tin of MacBaren Navy Flake a couple months back and fell in love. I've bought some medallions too, but right now am really liking flake. I am about to try Dunhill flake for the first time as soon as I post this question!
My question is definitely a newbie one. The only problem I've had with flake has been fitting it a bowl with enough depth to handle it. Is there a preferred depth of bowl that fits flake well?
Thanks!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Smaller is usually better, but some people will insist on a medium-to-large (Group 4) bowl. You should basically avoid really large bowls -- if you can fit multiple flakes in one bowl, it's probably too big.
Some people will prefer tall, narrow chambers, others will prefer squat pots and princes. Different bowl shapes will give slightly different smokes with the same tobacco.
Bottom line, don't use a giant bowl and don't overthink things.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The simplest solution is to tailor the flake to the depth of your bowl rather then the other way round. You can tear or cut off the excess length. My flake pipes vary from 1.15" to 2" in depth and .62-.94" in width. Imo depth makes very little difference while width will slightly alter the presentation of higher or lower notes in a blend (from narrow to wide). Your preference is absent consensus. Smoke whatcha got.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Different people will tell you different things. I prefer a smaller bowl..... .75" diameter or less and 1"-1.5" tall but GL Pease swears by a wide pot style. I say give all your pipes a try and see what give you the best results.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
MM Mark Twain ... perfect flake smoking pipe:
pm-pmmmt-bnt.png

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
We are all assuming a fold and stuff method right? Does the size/shape of the bowl matter much if the flake is rubbed out? I found that shorter, squatter bowls are better suited to tobacco blends with varied constituent leaves, allowing space for all the flavors to combine and narrower bowls seem to suit virginia blends better because they seem to burn slower allowing for the sweetness to develop. Is there rhyme or reason to this or am I imagining?

Status
Not open for further replies.