PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
What is the best blending perique on the market?
Are there any key differences between them?
I am aware of C&D granulated perique and McClelland ribbon perique so the cuts are obviously different, but is there a big advantage to using a particular one in either flavour or burning performance?
(I have also heard of Robert McConnell Blending Perique, but I do not know what form that takes)
I am not trying to reignite the "great perique debate" about whether one is 'genuine St. James perique' or not because I think it has been established that there has been no such thing in the pipe tobacco world for many years as all blenders have been using Acadian perique which is St. James blended with perique-processed Green River burley in order to create a more consistent and stable product...
I am simply asking who among you has used blending perique, what brands you have experience with, how they fared in the pipe and tasted overall, and whether or not you have a preference!
Also, how much mileage would one get out of a tin/two ounce bulk of said blending perique? If you could give me an idea how you use it and how long it lasts you it would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, gentlemen...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thank you, Mike.
I figured the granulated might be easier for me because I do a lot of cube cutting, but on further examination I mostly wanted the perique to spice up Luxury Bullseye Flake which I rub out so ribbon may be better...
You confirmed my suspicions - I figured they would be pretty similar all cut/moisture differences aside.
Anyone else have any experience with this? Differing opinions are always welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.