PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
In a few weeks I will be in London on business, and I will have a few spare days on my hands.
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good B&M in the greater London area?
When I travel I like to visit a good B&M and buy a pipe and some tobacco that is synonyms with that Country or area. It serves as nice souvenir of my travels, gives a back story to a new pipe, it is great talking to those at the B&M and is a great excuse for a new pipe with the wife…..
Any help would be appreciated.

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
In Selfridges (on Oxford St) you can find a small cigar and pipe shop on the bottom floor. It's a small shop but has a good selection of tobacco.
The two major ones are James Fox and Davidoff both of which are located on St James's street, definitely need to check those two out.
However the best one I have personally been to regularly is in Leeds, West Yorkshire. If you can get to it somehow, it's called Greens of Leeds. Cheaper prices than the above and more choices too.
Best of luck and have a nice trip!!! London is an amazing place.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
So true, rav. When I was in London 20 years ago I only found one small B&M in Carnaby Street. The owner was in his 70's and told me many of the shops had disappeared over the years. Only a few of the big players survive.

K

klause

Andy,
There's a really super, old pipe shop in Covent Garden. I don't remember it's name.
I bought a George V clay pipe there when on a school trip, many, many years ago.
About 3 years ago I returned. It was still there, but didn't have wall full of carved Meers I remembered. Did have a good selection of pipes, and some large jars of lovely tobacco. I bought about an ounce of a blend after a chat, and promptly smoked the lot over the next couple of days just walking around town. It was gorgeous.
Pop in - I doubt you'll be disappointed.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for the feedback.
I will be staying close to St James's street so at least I can hit two in one stroll up the road. Checking out their websites it seems these two have seemed to survive on their Cigar sales.
Klause sounds like it is definately worth a wander around Covent Garden and see I can find the little shop you described.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.