PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
I know this is a subjective toppic/question, but I am currious to know what you all would say the best aromatic blends out there are?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
That's a loaded question as everyone have different tastes, I like offerings from East India Trading Company, Missouri Meerschaum and H&H Marquee series, but there are so many more out there

lvs13

Lurker
Jun 28, 2016
Pipeworks & Wilke Gramercy Park, Rumcake, Vermont Maple, or really anything aro in their line. A good non-aro to try is #10.
Ole Shenandoah Bootlegged, Appalachian, for very mild, cool smoking aros.
St Bruno for mild intro to Lakeland.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
[That's a loaded question as everyone have different tastes]

I realized that, that's what I was hoping for. I mostly smoke english blends, and recently found that I have nothing against aromatics.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I like alot of aromatics but lately I've gone back to some classics: 1Q, RLP-6 and MC VBC.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bear in mind, aromatics make up about 95% plus of the pipe tobacco market, so there are hundreds, maybe thousands of blends, something for everyone on the face of the earth, you might say. Some of the blends are renowned and celebrated, and other ones that may be equally good are somewhat unknown. So all people can do is name a few favorites and wish you well on your possibly unending quest. I like Edward G. Robinson and Mac Baren's Modern Virginia, just for two, and I'm mostly a non-aro guy, and tend to like fuller strength tobaccos. Good luck!

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I think you need you clarify what you like so a comparison can be made. I dont care for cherry, caramel etc type aros. I do like 1Q, RLP 6, and Bennington Tobacconist - Connoisseurs Choice. Unfortunately the last may not be around much longer with the new FDA regs kicking in, even with it being a "200 yr old recipe". Pipeworks and Wilkes Rum cake is pretty good as well. Which then gets you over to the "navy" type tobaccos that have a rum flavoring. I also like a straight VA like SG FVF and when it smokes right reminds me of 1Q. I was smoking a straight VA recently and could not get past the wet hay taste. It had plenty of time on it so I have not figured out why a VA can taste so good and at other times be a total PITA to get smoking nice.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
In regards to what I like I tend to like, cherry, chocolates, and vanilla. However what I wanted to see more or less was what's a general concensus/what are everyone's favorites.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My favorite aros at the moment: Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, Cult Blood Red Moon, HPSC Trout Stream, SG Firedance Flake, SG Grousemoor, EITC Cellar Reserve, Dan Blue Note, Peterson's Founder's Choice(formerly St Patricks Day 2015), and several others. These are all very different and I love the variety!

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Peterson Sweet Killarney

Dunhill Royal Yacht

Bentley The planters sweet

Amphora Red Full Aroma
These are the best from the blends I have tried..

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Aromatics are something of a gray area to me as more tobaccos than not have some sort of added casing to them these days, so do you include only those which have an obvious flavoring in their name, an obvious added flavor or aroma when smoked or just upon opening the jar, or anything with an added topping as being an aromatic?
I've found some aros smell better in the jar but have less room note, while others do not have as much room note either but a nice taste. Ideally, I want an aro to have a nice flavor and aroma while not letting me forget I am smoking a good tobacco as well. I've made a few blends of my own that do just that--- they are a good tobacco blend first that one or more subtle added flavors peek in and out while smoking for added complexity.
I like a lot of variety so smoke all kinds of tobaccos except perhaps nic-bombs as I smoke for the taste and aroma rather than to be drugged. I've found that switching between different types often: predominantly sweeter virginia blends, zesty english and balkan types and aros gives me a reset on my taste buds and allows me to better appreciate the contrasts between each over just smoking one type all of the time.
Some of the recent aros I've tried (defined as having a clear flavoring in its character) that I might comment on are:
Chocolate Mousse (S): Mild, very smooth, rather sedate. Best I think for blending to tame down stronger flavors.

Creme Brulee (S): Pleasant, gentle smoke, mild flavor.

Blood Red Moon (C): Good for blending. Better to me if left to sit a few weeks after opening, then, a very nice balance.

715 Raspberry and Cream (McC): Inconsistent at times, but at its best, a delightful berry smoke.

Rum Raisin (S): Mild, pleasant, a hint of rum and a very nice round raisiny taste.

Strawberry Delight (S): One of my better favorite aros with a very nicely balanced natural strawberry flavor and aroma. Not too sweet. A nice desert smoke.

#47 Danish Black (N): Very enjoyable and mild cavendish with perhaps a light caramelly topping.

5100 Red Cake (McC): Too bland by itself and needing blended with something else. Perhaps some perique.

Bob's Chocolate Flake (G&H): No real decided chocolate flavor or aroma to my nose compared to other chocolate types, but very earthy and complex with a deep and robust flavor all its own along with quality tobaccos that I find very enjoyable.

Dark Chocolate (C&D): The most chocolatey-smelling aro in the jar I have found, however, dreadful taste when smoked. It needs left out to sit several hours in the pipe before smoking slowly or perhaps blended with something else. Maybe to give the 5100 Red Cake some flavor.

1-Q (L): Very mild and bland. Probably a good base to blend with something else.

BCA (L): Very mild flavor. Too mild for me on its own. Good base for something else.

Dark Red (L): Excellent cherry flavor that can be enjoyed right as it comes. One of the better bulk aros. Spurred me on to try their Very Cherry as well (on its way).

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Most aromatics are extremely mild in the nic department, many also burn hot and wet and leave a sticky residue in the pipe. I have found very few exceptions...Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1931 Flake is the one I settled on.
For the most part I prefer to mix my own aromatics, using either Lane Ltd BCA (a coarse-cut black vanilla cavendish), or Cult Blood Red Moon (a delicious cherry/chocolate) in small quantities mixed with either a straight VA like Dunhill's flake, or a strong English like Nightcap.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
many also burn hot and wet and leave a sticky residue in the pipe
I can't say I've had much of an issue with any of mine burning hot or wet, I think that is partly affected by how you pack and smoke them. But some leave a bit of stickiness in the bowl which again, I have found can be improved by changing to a different pipe, or just cleaning well and giving the pipe a few days to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.