PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
A well known and respected youtube pipe celebrity recently remarked that he switched to smoking cigars while in Mexico, as the climate was not favorable for pipe smoking. I live in Arizona, and I have only smoked pipes in Arizona. I seem to enjoy it about the same, regardless of the season. I’d be curious to know what others think about this.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Everywhere is great for enjoying a pipe!
I spend a lot of time in Brazil and my pipes go with me.
I'm in Canada right now and my pipes are with me.
Those are pretty different climates. A bit extreme, on the spectrum, I'd say. For me, I tend to smoke different blends when I'm in a hot climate compared to here in Canada in the winter, but only by a slim margin.
And I think that's just in my head, to be honest.
If I'm taking it easy while smoking, and enjoying the flavors of a relaxing pipe, it doesn't matter where I am.
Personally, I think people get that whole "I'm down South, so I'd better smoke a cigar now" thing out of popular culture. But, some people say they can't handle a pipe in the heat, so who am I to judge? I almost fell in to that rabbit hole, but climbed out quick enough.
I just don't notice it, really. My pipes taste good in 30 degree heat or -30 degree cold. Celsius, to you Americans who insist on being...

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I don't enjoy pipe smoking on the cold days. I do smoke some different blendsds based on the season. I think that's normal though, it's like wine. If it is a very hot day, a big bodied merlot isn't going to be the choice of many.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's what works for you not every ditz with a internet connection and a camera. What climate of the assorted climes in Mexico was he referring to? In Arizona one can go from low to high desert. Extreme heat and cold. Same as Mexico, arid to wet. Hot to cold. Do you limit your pipe to only one climates in Arizona?
I've smoked pipes from SE Asia to the Arctic and points in between. But, what is comfortable for me may not be for you. Take a drive to a couple of different regions in Mexico and see for yourself. If you can smoke a pipe up on the Mogollon Rim or down in Yuma I suspect you can handle most of Mexico.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
From the cold above the arctic circle in winter to the constant heat of the dry season in Africa I've enjoyed a pipe most places. The hardest environments for me are the ones where it is always windy. A constant strong wind makes smoking a pipe outside more challenging.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"pipe celebrity"
t-pipe-actors-infographic-2-01.jpg

A well known and respected youtube pipe celebrity

Yeh, it was hard to get beyond your opening sentence without laughing coffee out my nose.
But, we are not a true cross section of pipe smokers. In reality more men smoke aromatics than non-aromatics, and on here we are more of a small collection of anomalies. Most on here would say that seasons do not affect what blends they smoke, nor the climate. Probably, because no one ever pushes forum members' wheelchairs outside, away from their computer screens. :puffy:
But, Brian has had tobacco companies on the PM radio show over and over with evidence to show that warmer climates sell way more aromatics and Virginias, and the cooler climates sell more of the Englishes.

I know that in the summertime heat, here in Alabama or on the beach, a cigar just hits the spot so much better than a pipe does. Although a bowl of cigar leaf Key Largo and a some fruity drink is also a nice treat when on the beach or poolside. But, mostly Virginias and VaPers just give me more flavor when the weather is warm, and when cold, I can actually tolerate latakia. Why the reason, or explanation, it's hard to say... aesthetics.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have issues with gurgling pipes in extreme humidity that I don't when I am in NV or AZ. I may be crazy but it seems to me that the amount of water in the air changes how much water is produced from combustion.

Water in the air, gurgling stems, and dry mouth, not ideal for pipes. I used to go to Tucson every year for the Gem Shows, and I couldn't smoke a pipe there. The air is just too dry. I could barely breath, muchless smoke.

It's relative... go from 100% humidity to the desert, and I was coughing up blood from my lungs drying up and cracking.
But, I can see how someone acclimated to the area would see things different. We had to get a humidifier just to breath at night while there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have issues with gurgling pipes in extreme humidity that I don't when I am in NV or AZ. I may be crazy but it seems to me that the amount of water in the air changes how much water is produced from combustion.
Not crazy in the least. Not only what you say is true, but the tobacco is likely moister going into the bowl. Both = increased chance of gurgle.

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
That's reassuring, thank you for your opinions. Thinking about it some more, I imagine that someone coming from Seattle might find smoking in Tucson unpleasant, and vice-versa. One thing I never have to deal with in Tucson is excess moisture.
BTW, that well-respected and famous youtube pipe celebrity is someone you probably know, and someone who frequents these forums. Rather than reveal his identity, I will leave it for him to participate, if he so wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.