PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
After reading a number of threads on this forum regarding the storage of pipe tobacco, it appears the absolute best way to do so is with mason jars. However, mason jars are not available where I live in Asia. What, in your opinion, is the next best alternative to storing pipe tobacco? I smoke about 3 bowls a week, so the tobacco will be around for a while.
Here's what I'm doing now: Most of my tobacco is in round or square tins. Currently I have one open tin of Old Dublin wrapped in a ziploc, then stored in the best airtight container I could find (has snap down lids, but still not sure if its keeping all the air out). I thought about taking the tobacco out of the tin, putting in a ziploc, and then putting the ziploc in the container. But I noticed the lid of the tin somewhat threaded so I kept it in the tin.
As far as weather goes, it's pretty humid during this time of the year, but it will begin to cool down to the 40s and 50s by about November and the air will become a bit drier. There is very little Spring, so it will heat up again by March--by May, the heat and humidity are intolerable, with daytime highs reaching up to 115 degrees.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hmmm. Some use tin foil over top of the tobacco, then close the lid so the foil makes a seal. I'd say that, coupled with an airtight container (or as airtight as possible) is an acceptable solution.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Tins with foil should keep it good for a while, but you have the internet why not order them online?

~Ron

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Normally I'd recommend the jars from fruit preserves (Smucker's are very good); or Iwan Ries' PermaMoist Tobacco Bags, which would be cheap to mail, and work very well (for years, in my case.) But in Asia? I'd have to improvise with a wax paper or Saran Wrap cover between the tin and the cap. For pop top tins with replaceable plastic lids, Tarak's suggestion of using aluminum foil works well, and for the long term, rub a bead of wax along the rim of the can first.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
+13,081 Roth. Nobody goes the distance to help/solve a pipe or tobacco problem/question like you my friend. In almost every post, no matter how simple, you go the extra mile to thoroughly cover the question. Just an FYI, that works out to about 34 posts a day! You're an amazing brother of the briar.
Craig

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Many thanks Roth, and I agree with dragonslayer 100 percent--you are always willing to go the extra mile for the members here--I will definitely check those stores the next time I get to Thailand.
As for shipping, yes, of course I can have a relative ship the jars to me, but it's fairly cost prohibitive. Shipping glass jars to where I am costs around $60.00 and, import duties will add another $50.00. So, add the $11.00 for the jars and I'm looking at a total cost of $121.00.
However, I have tons of aluminum paper, wax paper, and saran wrap, so that might be the best alternative for now! It would have never occurred to me to try that, so I really appreciate the suggestion.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Do you have Kilner or bail top jars there? They are as good as Mason jars.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Any jar that has a rubber seal should work as long as the rubber seals are good, some jars (wire bail mesh) will clamp down on top of the seal which makes it very airtight.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Sorry roth--thought I'd posted my location--I'm in Pakistan, but I don't work for Uncle Sam so no APO address. Internet searches and local shops have unfortunately been in vain. I've found online distributors, but they're located in China and then back to square one with import and duty fees.
Found some bail top jars locally but the seals were horrible.
May have to start asking around the expat community here to see if they can get them. Until then, perhaps aluminum foil/saran wrap/wax paper method may be the best alternative to mason jars.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have had luck with cleaned out peanut butter jars. They are definitely airtight and work great; it just takes forever to eat all that peanut butter.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I use Mason jars for 8 oz or below but found some nice "clip top" jars with a rubber gasket for anything over 1 lbs. I have about 15 of them at this point full and another 20ish of mason jars. I'm pretty set on TAD for awhile. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.