PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
200$ is crazy on a budget, I haven't paid more than 12-15$ for most of my pipes, and I've got around 30. You want to look at estate pipes, which are used pipes on ebay. You'll be able to easily get some in the 10$ range that would cost you over 100$ new, to smoke it and then it becomes a used pipe. All you'll have to do is some simple clean up and you're good to go. Buy a few estate pipes rather than 1 new pipe in my opinon. Now 100's of people will come in and suggest you get a Savinelli.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
You won't find a decent pipe for less than 5k. However, if we must try to spend a piddly paltry sum of $200, I'd recommend any pipe under $200. Seriously though, it's mostly your personal aesthetic taste that comes into play here. Buy from any of the sponsors here and you'll be treated well in the rare case of a problem pipe. Everyone has their favs and there are no facts here. One mans great pipe is another mans average pipe.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
There are some great pipes available to you in the $200 range. A couple of questions:
Are you a fan of traditional shapes or free hand shapes?
What types of tobacco do you smoke?
Do you prefer large or small pipes?

omar

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
im a fan of traditional pipe shapes ..

i have a medium/small pipe , but i like to have a bigger one . not so big . just big enough to have a long smoke .

i have not tried a lot of blends . i tried latakia blends ( night cap / davidoff royalty ) .

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
In new pipes Savinelli and Stanwell come to mind as reliably good smokers in your price range. Lots of possibilities in estate pipes.
Good luck

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Obviously Savinelli, Stanwell and even Peterson pipes come to mind as good smoking pipes for a reasonable price. There are lots of other pipes out there. You could go the route of ebay to find some nice estate pipes too. I suggest looking around for a pipe shape you like and then go look at different websites for a brand and price that you'll enjoy.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
My Great Grandma smoked cobs all her life, and made every one of them herself. I tend to just buy a Medico or a Dr. Grabow at the store when I am in need of a new smoker.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Savinelli is the pipe to get in that range. Peterson pipes have had too much quality control problems these days to trust them, and Stanwell's quality isn't as good as it was since they moved to France.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
check out JM Boswell's pipes... well made... more one-of-a-kind... I have 2.
I like sav's a lot too...
a lot of great pipes to be had under $200
heck, a lot of good pipes to be found well under $100

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'll add my 2 cents and mention Mastro Beraldi for that price range. I have 8 MB's and they are wonderful pipes. I'd put them a notch above Savinelli and each pipe is one-of-a-kind.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The last pipe I bought which was under $200 was a beautifully clean estate Castello Sea Rock Canadian from the 1970s. It is one of my best smoking pipes, and I'd buy the same way any day of the week versus buying a new Savinelli, Peterson or Stanwell.
YMMV
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is just my codger advice, but if you are just starting out, I'd say you can get many great-smoking pipes for far less than $200. I'd save that purchase for when you know more about pipes, brands, shapes, filters, tobaccos, and so on. I know other members say buy the best pipe you can possibly afford. It's partly perspective. Some take serious pride in owning more expensive items. If you shop carefully and do your homework, you can get many really good smoking pipes for $40 to $80 new, and far less on ebay. Disclaimer, I don't shop ebay because I don't want the hassle, but many do well on there. I say, work hard at getting a good rotation of pipes, six or seven of them, cobs and inexpensive briars, to learn about pipes. Then when you know quite a bit more than you do now, take your $200 plunge. I've been smoking a pipe on and off for forty some years. I've taken a $175 plunge but never a $200 plunge. It's never seemed necessary from my point of view. I feel I have some classics in the $50 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.