Besides Me, Who Orders Tobacco Based on Cut?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
This sounds silly, but,
I've been choosing my cut recently but ease of storing, rather than how I necessarily like to smoke it.
For example, with Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Bulleseye Flake, I can fit 10-14 oz in a jar.
With ribbon cuts, I'm lucky to fit 6-8 oz in a jar.
With a limited storage space, I find myself ordering flakes and coins for their ease of cellaring.
I might be right for the wrong reason, I might be wrong altogether. However, something makes me happy about being able to fit a couple pounds of tobacco in just a few jars rather than taking up half a shelf in the cupboard.
Does this make my a certifiable hoarder?
Not unhappy if I am certifiable, just wondering if others are as certifiable as me.
Reminds me of the Radio Show skit "if you ... ... , you might be a pipe collector"
"if you buy tobacco based on cellaring density, you might be a pipe collector"

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I don’t order based on cut for storage considerations, rather, I tend to buy more flakes, coins and ropes because I believe they will tend to marry better in the long term.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't put that much thought into it. I purchase what I like to smoke regardless of the cut. I wouldn't want to wish 10 years from now that I had something that I didn't stock up on when I was able, if it's no longer available.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I mostly buy flakes because I like smoking flakes. But I buy some other cuts as well if I like them. Ease of storage does not play into the decision whatsoever.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I buy alot of everything that sounds interesting enough, no thought of how much space it will take.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
You may be missing out on some tobaccos that you might really like just because of the cut.
I'd rather smoke non aged tobacco that I really like and keep less of it on the shelf at any given time than blends that I enjoy less but save storage space.
Of course, if you prefer flakes over other types, then you have a happy coincidence and it all works out :)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@loadclear, I certainly do choose some tobaccos based on cut like you mention. Specifically VaPer coins like you mention. Yes, they store very well, age well, and you can fit a lot of to back all in one mason jar. Also, go over the years I have gravitated toward smoking flakes almost exclusively so it’s much easier to cellar those cuts long term due to less real estate footprint.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am a moderate smoker, a bowl or two a day, sometimes none, so I try not to store quantities, although I find blends do accumulate. So, no, cuts are not a primary factor in selecting what I order. I like flake/plug/coin/rope because it stays fresh, that's true. But many of my favorite blends are loose tobacco, and I do enjoy the ease of having little or no prep. I'm least adept with coin, perhaps because I smoke it least; I can get some harsh little edges with coin, where the eye of the coin doesn't fully integrate with the blend. But that will come with practice. I have a nice jar of PS Bullseye coin with which to improve my technique, nicely aged too.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I do not buy based on cut or storage space saving as I smoke very little and so I don't need a big cellar. I found that for similar kind of blends I prefer plugs/flakes/coins/ropes because I found generally they are prepared with better quality baccy and age better. But I have also a lot of ribbon cuts, particularly for English and Oriental blends were often are the only option available.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I buy flakes and coins 90% of the time and rub them out just before smoking. I find them best for storage and they are the most versatile overall as you can always choose to enjoy them in a different way if desired.
I dislike ribbon cuts and loose tobacco in general if there is a flake alternative. You are limited from the start and you typically don't benefit from the concentrated flavours that pressing can offer.
Crumble cakes are another excellent format. I am very glad to see Sutliff releasing some new ones...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I loaded up my cellar with flakes and plugs because that is what I smoke. I have not bought anything based upon it's ease of storage. If you love your flakes, keep buying and aging them, they will only get better.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I order based on cut if a blend I like is offered in various cuts i.e. Capstan. I buy flake because of the options it gives for preparation. Otherwise, I don't select blends based on cut but rather components.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
However, something makes me happy about being able to fit a couple pounds of tobacco in just a few jars rather than taking up half a shelf in the cupboard.
The phrase "makes me happy" is reason enough to do it how you do it. Myself, I buy blends that I enjoy the component contents of. I get a pound of any cut into two pint jars so that each four pack tray of jars in my closet represents two pounds. It makes it easier to estimate my inventory at a glance. Keep doing what works for you!

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks for the responses...
I don't want anyone to think that I'm missing out on other blends, I have dozens and dozens of tins. In fact, my favorite is only available in a tin.
However, when I see a flake or kake next to a ribbon with the same components, I'll take the flake or kake every time.
Reason this came up, is that I was reorganizing the cellar, and noticed that I have about 30 lbs or so in flakes/kakes/coins etc, and about 10 lbs in ribbon (I'm not counting the tins, just the jars). Even with the ribbon compressed, the 30 lbs of flakes/kakes/coins take about the same physical space as the 10 lbs of ribbon.
I wish more blenders would offer their tinned offerings in bulk in at least kake form.

Status
Not open for further replies.