PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
I have no idea what happened, the pipe was smoking fine until I did a more thorough cleaning of the stem using pipe cleaners and alcohol, now it is completely blocked.
The pipe has only been smoked about 5 times, and it has a 6mm carbon filter, so the stem stays relatively clean with each smoke. I use several pipe cleaners right after smoking to clean it out to make sure nothing starts building up in it. Since I have had the pipe for a week I decided to do a more thorough weekly deep cleaning adding in the use of PGA dipped cleaners. The first couple came out with a little staining, but nothing bad, I continued using more cleaners until they came out with nothing on them.
Then I decided to blow through the stem to make sure lint from the cleaners was not still inside and I noticed the airflow was compromised, I was only getting about half the flow of normal. So more cleaning using pipe cleaners and PGA, nothing coming out on them and then all of the sudden the pipe cleaners will not go in the stem any longer. They stop right at the bend from both ends. There is no airflow at all now.
What the heck could be happening, and how do I resolve this?

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
This may sound a little silly but I have done it before. Is the filter still in the pipe. Paper wading may have come loose an stuck in the air way. Get a thin wire an run it thru it, it should dislodge it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Straighten a paper clip and put a slight bend in it to push out the blockage.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
Ok, The paper clip worked finally. I had to really jam it around in there but it finally knocked the blockage loose. It's what looks like lint from the pipe cleaners all wadded up into a rock-hard round ball.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Glad it worked out. This is 1 of the reasons a lot of people give up on bent pipes an only smokes straights.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
I love my Dunhill Oom Paul and other various bent pipes. I can't stand the straight ones, they give a hotter smoke to me. I have 2 churchwardens being delivered tomorrow, hopefully, their extra length stems will take care of the hot smoke issue.
This issue is a drawback to the bent pipe I can see now, so I will make sure I have a big box of paperclips on hand, lol.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"This is 1 of the reasons a lot of people give up on bent pipes an only smokes straights."
I smoke almost exclusively bent pipes and have never suffered from this issue 8O
I use tapered cleaners and always feed them in via the tenon. Once poking through the bit, I then pull them out slowly moving from left to right and back again to clear the 'vee' in the end of the bit.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do you clean your pipes good after smoking? After smoking run at least 1-2 pipe cleaners (I use 3-4+ per bowl smoked), that will avoid blockages in the first place, if you don't already do.
Because I am conserving our natural resources am thrifty am conscientious am cheap, I average one pipe cleaner every two or three smokes. How? By reusing. Letting dry. Often not running a cleaner through until after the next smoke has started. When I clean, I run hot water through, which helps remove gunk. Had a blockage only once. For stems, esp. bent ones, pulling it all the way through (as Jay notes) has its advantages. Oh, and the blockage I did have had nothing to do with the above..... And I often (every 5-8 smokes) clean out the mortise with a Q-tip or rolled up paper towel.
Diff folks, diff strokes.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
Deniz,
Yes, I do clean it thoroughly after each bowl, I run pipe cleaners through it until they come out clean, then I run one more through. From what I have seen in a few photos some of the pipe cleaners here in the US are thinner than they are overseas. I have seen both thin skinny ones here as well as full fluffy ones. Unfortunately, most stores will not give you a choice as they will only carry one brand so you have to get whatever they happen to have.
Just like the Kosher salt used for deep cleaning, when I picked some up instead of looking like normal Kosher salt, the brand I purchased is merely more expensive table salt, very fine granules that will harden too deep inside the pipe crevices if I try to use it. I checked numerous stores and they all carry the exact same Kosher salt. So it seems I may be out of luck here in Hawaii and may have to order salt from somewhere else.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The salt does not need to be Kosher. Sea salt is fine or many processed salts. You may want to avoid iodized salt. And rinsing thoroughly with water should cure any crevice hiders. Recommended anyway. (by me, not by a published author)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Glad you got the blockage clear.
Never understood the need to do a "thorough cleaning" after only a short period of time. I might salt/alcohol treat the bowl, and alcohol treat the stems of my pipes after a year or two of smoking. I only do it if I notice the pipe becoming sour. The rest of the time I use one maybe two pipe cleaners per each smoke. I'll run a pipe cleaner through the pipe during the smoke from time to time as I'm a bit of a wet smoker and then run through it and clean the pipe after the smoke. Depending on the tobacco I might use two cleaners, but usually can do it with one. After that the pipe hits the rack, and I'm on to the next pipe. To each there own though.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
That's one of the drawbacks to the bent pipes, I can't run a pipe cleaner through to the bowl while I am smoking, I can only do through the stem. To get down to the bowl I have to take it apart because the hole in the shank is too offset to reach from the stem. I am a wet smoker as well, but I have started using a couple different techniques other than using cleaners, to clear the moisture and prevent gurgling in the pipe. Using the breath technique has really helped with that the most by gently pushing the moisture back into the bowl instead of it collecting in the shank and stem.

May 4, 2015
I am a wet smoker as well, but I have started using a couple different techniques other than using cleaners, to clear the moisture and prevent gurgling in the pipe.
I wonder if you would benefit from using meer chips or something in the bottom of the bowl. I hear of guys that have success with that.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
I just heard about using chips of clay, volcanic rocks, and things in the bottom of the bowl today, I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.