PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I have a very nice Serrasalmus Jacopo pipe that has albatross bone as part of the stem. During one day in the summer I put it in my glove compartment in the Jeep. When I took it out the next day it developed a bend in the stem. It is now odd to hold in my mouth. Is it possible to get a hole new stem for my pipe?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
An experienced pipe repair service could probably straighten it out for you. If you're brqve you could try it yourself but with a Ser Jacapo I'd go the pro route. Your other option would be to contact Ser Jacapo and ask if they have a stem that is appropriate for your pipe. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have had better luck bending a stem that has straightened, than straighten one that bent. Talk to Mike at Walker briar repair. He's done great stem work for me.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
With a lower end pipe you might experiment a bit, but with a Ser Jacopo I'd recommend having a professional do the work.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If it is a vulcanite stem, you should be able to fix it easily. Bring a pot of water to a near boil and place the stem in for a few minutes. 3-5 minutes. The stem will soften up and conform to its original shape. Remove from hot water and place it in a cold bowl of water to set it. I bought a few estate pipes that were stored in a metal shed. All the stems were warped. I tried this and it worked great for all three.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've done this as well, in the boiling water. I insert a bare piece of copper wire thru the stem of just the right size (just strip wire of the correct size). I dunk it back down in cold water after the re-bend, to "set" the bend.
And, as you learned, the glove-box in a vehicle is not a great place for pipe storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.