PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It is a quality I have seen here and amongst pipe smokers in general. We all have conflcting political, idaelogical and social views and sometimes what we say or do will bring those differences to light. But when it comes to a fellow piper in need, over the year or so I've been posting here, be it the loss of a loved one, the loss of one's strength or health or even the loss of a few pipes I have seen pipe smokers respond with remarkable charity and greatness of mind.
I addition, I have seen these noble qualities in place, not simply in response to a loss of sorts, but even in the face of the desire of one to improve his skill and better his knowledge as a pipe smoker and as a man (or woman) in general. I wanted to put it into a word, but this combination includes all of charity, benevolence and magnanimity in the sense that those words hold within their spirit and not necessarily their literal definition. If I had to qualify one word, it would be Beneficence. It is not necessarily the mitigation of a loss but a desire to cause good to be done in the community as a whole. Some call it "paying it forward", or consider it the general duty of an adult and a human being. I like to call it beneficence!
It is a quality many instittions claim but few actually deliver.
Good show, ladies and gents. :clap:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You may now continue making fart jokes and posting nudie pics for Kevin to delete. :rofl:
Sorry, that much seriousness worries me, even when I do it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Yup. Us pipers are damn nice people.
But we're people.... so we're kinda screwy in the head.
It's why we need the pipe. :puffy:

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Good observation, and thanks for teaching me a new word.
Kevin, how close did you come to deleting the thread before you discovered it was a real word????? :nana:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
It seems to me that people in general used to realize that quality in pipe smokers.They had a really good image of us.It's not hard to check and find that a great many who have contributed to the progress of human kind have been pipe and or cigar smokers.One thing that's a bit scary to me is the way that young folks today seem to allow their thinking to be molded by others..I agree with what you said.Thanks for saying it.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I couldn't figure out how to fit "perpendicularity" into the theme of the post.
Edit: That's what she said. (Or tried to say)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
:oops:
Is all we can say... we're screwed in the head (as most people), but we hide it better than most :puffpipe:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Well Put Baron! I didn't know the word either and had to look it up.
In my mind, the only other people that come close to Pipe Smokers are Golfers.

Golfers may not be as charitable as Pipe Smokers, but get along during the game

no mater what...

Status
Not open for further replies.