PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Is there a way to put a bend in a straight stem with out harming it?

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
If I recall correctly you can run a pipe cleaner or something through it and heat it up enough (boil? oven?) and it will bend. Uncle Arthur et. al. will surely be able to give a more precise account :P

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
You can do it simply by using a candle's flame and gently heating the stem enough to get the bend you want. The pipe cleaner will help hold open the airway. Don't be very aggressive or even the pipe cleaner won't save the passage.
When your stem becomes pliable, make your bend and hold it for a few seconds to let the vulcanite set or run it under some cold water.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
A heat gun is what I use. get it hot but be careful not to burn it. A candle works as will a stove burner. Don't use hot water on vulcanite it discolors badly. Lucite is tricky as the slump temp is very close to bending temp.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Since it is a straight stem that Willard stem is a soft plastic. Not sure what type. The major complaint about Willards(which were made by Grabow) were those darn soft stems-easily chewed. Bent stem Willards had vulcanite stems as the plastic didn't lend itself to well to bending,has a tendency to straighten out if I remember correctly. You can try heating as mentioned but don't be surprised if it doesn't work or won't stay bent very long.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I re- bent a vulcanite stem the other day using a lighter, took about 2 minutes. I did put a pipe cleaner in it first, then dunked it to fix the shape afterwards.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I bent a straight stem from a churchwarden (can you imagine?) by putting a pile of rock salt on a baking tray and a pipe cleaner through the stem, then putting it in the oven at 200 degrees farenheit for a minute or two. When I took it out of the oven it was easily bent in a gentle curve.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Hmmm.. I didnt know I could do this myself. Great information in case I need it. Thanks for bringing it up Ace. :clap:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
All my stems come unfinished and straight. Gotta make bends for any bents. Just take it easy and you should have no trouble.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I just put a bend in it, worked good. I did it the way Mlaug and Uncle A said, with a candle.

pilgrim

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
Okay; i'm wanted to attempt the candle bend method; seems doable even for me. tell me this; do i want to leave the stem in the pipe to do this? thanks

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I'm sure there are plenty of ways that work well. I've done several using this simple method.
1) bring a pot of water to a near boil

2) place stem in hot water for 3-5 minutes. With pipe cleaner inside stem.

3) remove wearing gloves and place over a round object. Glass, coffee can, etc.

4) submerge in cold water to set bend.
You will need to have the form ( glass, coffee can,) and the sink of cold water ready before removing the stem from the hot water. You have about a 30 second window before the vulcanite starts harden again. Place your thumb on the button end of stem and holding the opposite end, bend around your curved object of choice. Once it's shaped the way you want, continue holding slight pressure to keep the bend and dunk in the cold water for 30-45 seconds. Once cooled, it's locked into that shape unless you repeat the process. I haven't used a heat gun or candle but the hot water gives a uniformly heated stem to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.