PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I just got an estate pipe with a lucite stem. I've restored a few pipes but never actually restored any lucite stems yet. The first problem with the stem is when you look straight down the stem it bends slightly to the left. It's something I could live with but would be nice to fix. The second problem is that there are light teeth marks on it as well. I'm not sure if you can fix this the same way you fix vulcanite with a little flame and rubbing it out. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I kinda doubt that the tooth marks will lift by heating them,but it won't hurt to try. I work lucite just like I do vulcanite. Wet sand starting with 360-400 grit,work up to 800--1000 and then buff.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah I was thinking micro mesh but was unsure if it would screw up the swirl colors in the stem.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I got the teeth marks out but still haven't figured out how to fix the slight bend to the left.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You'll have to heat the stem and bend it to where you want it. Heat gun works best but a good hot hair dryer will work also,just takes longer.Once you get it where you want it,dip it in some cold water to set it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes it will. You shouldn't have a problem with that unless you use a flame to heat the stem--some guys use a candle etc. You just need to heat it until it will flex.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah thanks ejames. When I get back to town and have access to a hair dryer I will post how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.