PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

I have heard of Ben Wade's Freehands.

But I wasn't aware they were doing much more than those. In fact, they seem to be the equivalent of Savinelli, but for the UK.

I found this charming Town & Country Bent Apple and fell for it, as the stem and the stain are very similar to Dunhill's County series-but at a fraction of their price.

At the price I paid, I am not expecting miracles. Just an honest smoker is all. :wink:

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
It's always the one you have no expectations of, that turn out to be the best pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Ben Wade name started in Britain and has an interesting and, at times, tragic history.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Wade

P

pipebuddy

Thanks, guys (and Duane, for the link).
Funny they name it Town & Country: classy enough for hitting town and casual enough for a stroll in the countryside. :D

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Totally concur, Neal; it's a real beauty. Granted pipe firms are like pharmacies/banks --they all buy each other all the time-- but every time I think of BW it makes me think of Jobey & other makers that've had "ups & downs & all arounds" when it came to location, ownership, & status.
Always makes me a little sad, too, since i can't think of the brand without thinking of Holm. :(

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bought a new Ben Wade about two years ago, a basic straight billiard, rather compact, as a car/travel pipe, at my local independent pipe shop.

P

pipebuddy

Bought a new Ben Wade about two years ago, a basic straight billiard, rather compact, as a car/travel pipe, at my local independent pipe shop.
Sooo, mso, what's your impression of it?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipebuddy, my little Ben Wade is a good little smoker, just what I intended. Only two inconsequential problems. First, that I have, ahem, quite a few pipes, so it comes around on the rotation too infrequently, but it does well. The stamping is a little faint, which always gives the impression of a rushed assembly line process, but the pipe is good; I'm glad I have it. Like most of us, I have too many pipes and enjoy them all. I've unloaded all my clunkers. So when I sent a box of five to the active duty people at Bagram Airfield, they received good ones, for which I'm glad.

P

pipebuddy

Having received it today, I must say I am, overall, very impressed by the pipe.

Fist thing I di, after inspecting it, is to remove the pre-cake with some rubbing alcohol and pipe cleaners.

The sandblast is really nice too.

It clenches like a dream and is extremely comfortable.

It seems to be the English interpretation of an Author rather than an Apple.

I'm quite happy with this new pipe!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice blast on that one. I know people admire the deeply grooved blasts, but I think a lighter blast can be handsome, a little more subtle.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good question. For what it's worth:
https://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Ben_Wade&mobileaction=toggle_view_mobile

P

pipebuddy

I can't tell if it is just glare off the stem in the photos, is it black or does it have a slight swirl to it?
It's Cumberland look alike acrylic
Who is making ben wade pipes now?
According to the link mso procured, it would still be in England....The stamp says "Ben Wade of London Town & Country".

P

pipebuddy

Nice blast on that one. I know people admire the deeply grooved blasts, but I think a lighter blast can be handsome, a little more subtle.
I fully concur with your assessment, mate. I have had deep blasts and light and when it's detailed, light blasts are very nice looking and feel more natural in hand.
I like it so much I have decided to order another one, a Bent Billiard Town & Country.

I am confident they will smoke just fine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have my Ben Wade cooking right now, with C&D Riverboat Gambler; fine little pipe. Correction, it is slightly bent. Good pipe for a shorter smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.