PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I've seen a few that looked nice, and they seem to be of good quality so I just wondered what people here thought of them.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I generally like them but they have a long history beginning at about 1865, so you could be talking about practically any pipe really, manufactured by any number of companies, with various levels of quality. Where did you see the ones you're referring to?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I've seen several of them from different sponsors and online retailers and the occasional estate pipe at pipe shops that I've visited and generally they look like nice pipes, but I've just lately considered perhaps adding one to the rotation, because ... well, er, I "need" another pipe? :mrgreen:
Yes, yes, that's it. Need another pipe. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
TBH honest I've been eyeing some Dunhill estates and have started thinking more about some other Brit Woods just for the heck of it. Of course, I'd really like to find a pristine 1967 Dunhill with a great sandblast for a very reasonable price - but then again, there's a lot of things I'd like but probably won't get. :lol:
I've got a nice Dunhill, some Comoy's and several Wilmers that are excellent smokers, and one "London Made" pipe with otherwise unreadable nomenclature that got me thinking about expanding my stable.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
My only BW is of the Danish era from the majestic line. Nice sizable pipe, an apple with the "Danish swoop" and good grain. I like it quite a bit.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Duane, I don't really know the difference.
The ones that I've seen that I really like look quite English in design - e.g. traditional sandblasted styles. I did a quick Google search and see many of the Danish freehand looking ones that don't appeal to me greatly, but I haven't a clue about what their modern era ones look like.
Jesse, are the Leeds Era ones likely to be the ones that I've described?
Sorry to be so ignorant about these, but I honestly don't know the differences. But I figured this was the right place to ask!
I don't have a particular pipe picked out, this is just general reconnaissance prior to getting serious about narrowing down the field.
Seems like I could aim for a Ben Wade in the $100 range as an estate or aim for a $200+ Dunhill to get what I'm thinking of in my mind's eye.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have indeed, both of them. The Barlings appeal to me a bit more than the GBDs, but both look like solid good quality pipes. And seem to pop up fairly often at decent prices too!
I haven't seen a lot of sandblasted ones though, and that seems to be what catches my eye right now. Might just be that I haven't encountered them yet.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Understand about the blasts, love them myself. See what you think about this.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=330177

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I have 2 Danish eras, the freehands you don't like & they are probably my favorites as to smoke.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Duane, I have been eyeballing that same pipe today, LOL. That's just too funny.
I just hadn't heard of the "Digby" brand but the good folks at SPC certainly know what they are doing, so if they say it's GBD made, then it's GBD made.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
What / when are the "eras" that are referred to? Are there dates, or is it more a general thing? I'd like to become a bit more knowledgeable about Brit Wood in general, and this would be a good place to start!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
These folks have the most comprehensive catalog of the current production of Ben Wade. They're not expensive, and some are decent pipes. Some aren't so easy on the eyes.
https://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=category&man=261&cat=67
That having been said, there are several Charatan-era pipes that are decent as well, and Preben Holm era pipes that are good if you're into Danish style pipes. My personal favorite are the original Leeds-era pipes, but these are much less easy to come by, and may be a little more expensive due to their collectible nature.
Check out the Pipedia entry for information about all of these. Happy hunting.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Wade

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What / when are the "eras" that are referred to? Are there dates, or is it more a general thing?
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Wade

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Dang verporchting. You don’t scoop up that pipe Duane linked, I might! Just kidding, take your time, but that looks like a bargain beauty to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.