PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I'm looking at possibly buying this nice little Ben Wade Pot from Peretti's. It's a small rusticated pot with a silver band from Les at Ferndown.
I've always been pleased with my purchases from Peretti's, but I can't really find any info out about this pipe. I've looked all over the internet for days. I doubt it was made too recently since it looks unlike today's current production. Dunhill owned Ben Wade (or owns)... Les used to do silver work for Dunhill. In another description of a Ben Wade pipe, the Peretti's lister is basically saying it is a dunhill without the spot. I'm going to try to call Peretti's again tomorrow. It's just been tough getting through.
In any case, I do like this pipe a lot. I just wanted to know if anyone knows when Les was doing silver bands on Ben Wade pipes.
Not sure I am allowed to post a link to the pipe at Peretti's. It's $175...
Here's a pic...
benwade-rustic-pot1_zpsmqltu5qx.jpg

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Apologies...
I'm trying to "date" the pipe.
It's not like the Ben Wade Pipes they are producing now. These newer Ben Wade pipes seem like more factory produced pipes. This one has a hand cut stem and silver work by Les from Ferndoown. It also says hand made in London England on the back.
Peretti's has a total of three Ben Wade pipes for sale on their website.
The second pipe is just like this pot, but it's bent. Same rustication, silver and stem work.
The third pipe looks different than tye other two. It is almost just like a Dunhill Shell Briar in size and shape etc. No Silver work. different marking on stem more consistent with the 1970's/1980's Ben Wade Pipes I have seen. Peretti's is claiming that It's basically a Dunhill at half the price... which alludes to the time of it's making which would be when they were being created alongside the Dunhills and sharing the same briar and craftsmanship.
So... back to this Ben Wade Pot.
I want to know approximately when it was made. It wouldn't make me like the pipe more or not.
Either way, $175 is a lot for a pipe. If I am laying out $175, I want to know that I am not only getting a good smoker, but that I am also buying something a little unique that I won't find later for $50.
If it's a newer produced pipe, then $175 seems like they are asking for way too much. I have been seeing newer Ben wades for as little at $45.

If this was produced "X" number of years ago, it was likely crafted by hand and the $175 is warranted. etc.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Thanks, cool site. I looked at all 229 ben wade pipes and didn't see anything like this one. None of those were hand made and none had silver work from Les. None had hand cut vulcanite stems. Those are all the newer lines and appear to be decent, mid grade factory made pipes.
Does anyone have info on this era? Whenever it was? Pipedia has a large gap between the Danish PH era and now...

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
lasttango- I do not like any of the 229 Ben Wades either.
But what I see on your picture is an ordinary rustic pot and I doubt that the stem are hand cut.To me it looks like a moulded one. I would not pay 175 american money for it.
Best regards

Jørgen

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Well, again... we are missing some information. If Maxim at pipes2smoke was selling Ben Wade's at these prices a few+ years ago then maybe there's more to the story. Maxim doesn't sell factory pipes. Les wouldn't put silver on a factory pipe. On Pipedia, there's a quote by Maxim. He wrote that these (this era) were produced at the same address as Dunhills and were handcrafted etc... cut stems etc. Exceptional value for price. I am thinking this pipe is from that particular era... but when is that era and when did it switch to the $30/$50 pipes we see being made now?
Plus, I would trust Peretti's. If they claim it is a handcut stem, then it must be. Peretti's has been selling pipes and tobacco for 100+ years.
Anyway, I am not trying to talk myself into this pipe. I already like it - If it's a nickel band on a factory pipe with a molded stem, I'll pay $60 tops. If it is an unsmoked pipe from a different era when Wade's were more of an exceptional quality, then I'd be willing to pay more. I actually had a Dunhill pot this same size, shape, look. A ruby Red. I paid way too much for it. I liked it, but I sold/traded it because I felt like an ass lifting a $530 size 2 rusticated pot to my lips that didn't seem to be much more special than pipes I paid less for.
I just see a huge gap in the easily available info about these pipes before they became these factory pipes we see.
I suspect this pipe is from the 1980's or early 1990's... but I cannot say.
Thanks Jorgen

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
........ well, " Les would not put silver on a factory pipe"..........I have three Blakemars with Les Wood silverbands, not

hand made pipes but pipes with clean bowls. Wood did all the pipemakers silverwork.
If the pipe in quistion is from the Peter Wilson - former Duncan Briars - area,it must be from after 1996.
Best regards

Jørgen

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I have never seen a carved Ben Wade before. It sort of reminds me of the Castello-type carving. I agree with Jensen, this has got to be a later one.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I like those Blakemars. I got them in all qualities from hand made to the cheapest.

I think I have a least 20 in my unsmoked stock and about 50 smoked.
Best of all, Michael Billington is a gentleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.