PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I recently made arrangments to purchase a Wade pipe with mixed smooth and rusticated briar, but could not get all the historical details of the pipe before they brought the posting down. I did see the name of Holm mentioned. On the flimsy info, can anyone tell me anything, even speculate, about this pipe? (I read the Pipepidia entry.) BTW, I'm getting the pipe for well under $100.

il_170x1351757555705_e1hk-2.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks to be a Martinique or Amber. Partially blasted and definitely from the Danish era. You can often find Danish Wades under $100, none of mine were over $80.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
About early 70s-mid-80s. That's definitely an early PH-carved pipe, not even one of the more or less "standard" general common BW shapes from 75-9. Any time you can get a handmade PH in truly good shape for under a C-note, jump on it!
Bill

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Also, the pipe is indeed an Amber. Well spotted!
The stem color gave it away. I got one from pipestud a few years back.
20181219_000123.jpg

Danish era Ben Wade pipes all came from Holm's workshop though not all were carved by him. Some were carved by his assistants such as Poul Winslöw.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for refreshing my memory, diminished because of the crazy season. It was mentioned as being made in the seventies, I believe, and I think Holm was mentioned as the maker. I came across this pipe purely by accident while looking at Etsy, and couldn't believe the price for such an attractive, large chambered pipe, so I did some negotiating to delay payment. 2018 was The Year in Hell for me, as Bill knows, so I thought I could get this pipe next year before 3 watchers snapped it up, as a consolation prize for surviving this year. Bill, I must say under his protest, was vital in helping me make it through the year.
I'm gonna go re-read Dante's Inferno now. Gorgeous pipe, btw, Embers, and quite similar to the Amber on layaway for me. Thanks for all the info, gents, and I hope a loving spouse leaves a pipe under your tree this year.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You can bet I'll showcase the Amber when it arrives. As for getting another, I'll have to take up a life of crime before I can do that.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
You're in for a great pipe Fred. May even make you want another Wade.
Couldn't agree with Duane more, but as always I have to admit a particular fondness for BWs from the Danish era.
It's very true that a great many of the BWs came from Preben's carvers & not him personally. If you look at the ones on various auction sites pretty soon it hits you how so many of them look very much the same, the Walnuts in particular -- smooth finish, non-plateau rims, with a little dip in the front/back, gentle curves, etc. Ambers not as much, & the more wildly carved & oldest ones would very likely be either Holm himself or *maybe* Winslow.

Status
Not open for further replies.